article about engineer doing blind test of 128mp3 vs wav...?

- open
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

SLICES wrote:Exactly. Out on March 15.
Pre-order now! ;-)

www.eb-slices.net
where's a preorder link? i just see the way to buy the current issue.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
SLICES
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SLICES »

Follow the link to the shop and then you see all issues incl. the forthcoming ones
upekah
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by upekah »

SLICES wrote:Follow the link to the shop and then you see all issues incl. the forthcoming ones
any info on the older slices issues? I think there were some really old ones from the early 2000's! At least a friend told me there was a feature about Robert Johnson :)

cheers!
plaster wrote:you can't be a leader if are a follower.
WillieSmalls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by WillieSmalls »

I've cut a few records from 320/WAV and found that the majority of the time the 320 sounds better. As stated earlier I think this is more due to the quality of mastering than the format quality.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Themis wrote:i dont get why people are interested in this, what do they deduce from such tests`?

some sound engineers like 128 kbit better, so you gonna play only compressed sh!t now?

human sense of hearing can only handle 16 khz, so why all the speakers go up to 20 khz? fck that lets, make it 15 or 14, 99% of the people even cant handle this in a test.

why play a concert with a stradivari ? 100% of the audiance cant tell the difference to a normal violin.

it doesnt matter to me if i can tell the difference between wave and mp3, i will do everything i can possible do, to play a track as it was intended to sound.

if a friend wants me to rip him some ricardo stuff, to play it on his 20 € chinese 5 watt stereo system. i will not do it, even if he tells me he likes the way it sounds.
Congratulations 8)
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: article about engineer doing blind test of 128mp3 vs wav

Post by pheek »

cloutier wrote:i was just having another discussion about the whole "mp3 vs. 320 vs. flac" thing with djing (be it cd, traktor scratch or ableton) with a friend, and he mentioned that someone we had booked for bunker told him about an article about some sound engineer, possibly from fabric, that was given a blind test on his rig between a 128kbps mp3 and a wav file, and he thought that the 128kbps mp3 sounded better.
I remember Richie at Mutek, on a panel in 2003, was talking about Final Scratch. He was saying they did a blind test of the product and he had people from stores, distributors, djs, producers and asked them to take notes. Apparently not a lot could see the difference...
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: article about engineer doing blind test of 128mp3 vs wav

Post by roland »

pheek wrote:
cloutier wrote:i was just having another discussion about the whole "mp3 vs. 320 vs. flac" thing with djing (be it cd, traktor scratch or ableton) with a friend, and he mentioned that someone we had booked for bunker told him about an article about some sound engineer, possibly from fabric, that was given a blind test on his rig between a 128kbps mp3 and a wav file, and he thought that the 128kbps mp3 sounded better.
I remember Richie at Mutek, on a panel in 2003, was talking about Final Scratch. He was saying they did a blind test of the product and he had people from stores, distributors, djs, producers and asked them to take notes. Apparently not a lot could see the difference...
as our master yoda of sound aka the function one owner previously said,
it depends on the soundsystem if you can hear the difference and on most
of the systems which are out these days you simply can't..

this of course doesn't relate to the situation you described given that
richies guests tried to see the difference
:P :D
mizzdirekt
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mizzdirekt »

once a sound has been digitized and re-digitized and re-digitized and compressed and eq'd...it's over. It all sounds the same.