Producing Berghain techno?

- ask away
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

AVX23 wrote:
damagedgoods wrote:
tintin2085 wrote:I pretty interested how do all this producer like Mike Dehnert for making an so lofi feeling in their productions. If you listen productions from Mike Dehnert or even from Maurizio you will hear at the beginning a nice breeze noise (i don't know the exact term for this sound like for exemple if you put the monitor too loud or if you don't push on the DOlby NR on an old tape player :lol:)
I'm trying since 2 days too reproduce this feel with Logic and without hardware. Anyone has some tips to give me ?
I have tried it with Microtonic and with a bunch of distortions but it's not that.
If you want hardware noise, sample it from hardware. Record some vinyl crackle. Record some tape hiss. Record some mixer noise. Delay it, filter it, sidechain it, whatever. You can be sure that the Maurizio stuff isn't ITB and all done with Logic.

Dehnert has a pretty clean sound, all told...
agree re: denhert - it is actually a clean but agressive sound, there ain't much tape hiss or otherwise - his chords are pretty clean as well, sounds like soft synth - perhaps even a tweaked absynth preset ?

(I like denhert btw so hopefully that won't offend - it's just quite a recogniseable chord he often uses and one I've cameacross when I tried absynth out once - think 2562 might have used it in the past also)

Are you sure about the maurizio records being done in logic tho ? I doubt that, I'm reasonably sure those records were done on hardware, altho u could be correct - the channels then being recorded into logic.

Most of those tracks were dubbed tho, so I dunno what would be the point in chucking it into logic other than prepping the master, there were no post edits or any clever arrangements in those tracks, it's all about the work on the desk if you ask me (and more importantly - if you ask von oswald, it's about the only thing I've ever heard him confirm).

Might be mis-understanding you tho - what do you mean by ITB ?
Hehe no, I'm with you; I meant Von Oswald probably did his Maurizio stuff all on hardware. Can't remember exactly when it was from, but wasn't it before the days when computers were fast enough to deal with audio anyway?

ITB = in the box

loving the recent FSG stuff by the way!
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

ahhh, sorry mate - I read that the wrong way !

And thanks :)
siddhu
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by siddhu »

damagedgoods wrote:
AVX23 wrote:
damagedgoods wrote:
tintin2085 wrote:I pretty interested how do all this producer like Mike Dehnert for making an so lofi feeling in their productions. If you listen productions from Mike Dehnert or even from Maurizio you will hear at the beginning a nice breeze noise (i don't know the exact term for this sound like for exemple if you put the monitor too loud or if you don't push on the DOlby NR on an old tape player :lol:)
I'm trying since 2 days too reproduce this feel with Logic and without hardware. Anyone has some tips to give me ?
I have tried it with Microtonic and with a bunch of distortions but it's not that.
If you want hardware noise, sample it from hardware. Record some vinyl crackle. Record some tape hiss. Record some mixer noise. Delay it, filter it, sidechain it, whatever. You can be sure that the Maurizio stuff isn't ITB and all done with Logic.

Dehnert has a pretty clean sound, all told...
agree re: denhert - it is actually a clean but agressive sound, there ain't much tape hiss or otherwise - his chords are pretty clean as well, sounds like soft synth - perhaps even a tweaked absynth preset ?

(I like denhert btw so hopefully that won't offend - it's just quite a recogniseable chord he often uses and one I've cameacross when I tried absynth out once - think 2562 might have used it in the past also)

Are you sure about the maurizio records being done in logic tho ? I doubt that, I'm reasonably sure those records were done on hardware, altho u could be correct - the channels then being recorded into logic.

Most of those tracks were dubbed tho, so I dunno what would be the point in chucking it into logic other than prepping the master, there were no post edits or any clever arrangements in those tracks, it's all about the work on the desk if you ask me (and more importantly - if you ask von oswald, it's about the only thing I've ever heard him confirm).

Might be mis-understanding you tho - what do you mean by ITB ?
Hehe no, I'm with you; I meant Von Oswald probably did his Maurizio stuff all on hardware. Can't remember exactly when it was from, but wasn't it before the days when computers were fast enough to deal with audio anyway?

ITB = in the box

loving the recent FSG stuff by the way!

The Basic Channel stuff started coming out in 1993. I remember buying the vinyls at Paris's now defunct "BPM Records" in the 11th arrond.
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

Yeah, I thought the Maurizio stuff was later but you're right. IIRC it was only around 97 that Cubase VST came out, which must've been one of the first sequencers with usable audio processing?

Generator (the first version of Reaktor) came out in 97 as well.
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
Nintscha
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Nintscha »

found lots of chord presets in native instruments pro53 which sound similiar to mike dehnerts chords, so yes it could be that he just uses some soft synth for chords
tintin2085
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tintin2085 »

It's sure that Moritz Von Oswald has used for all his famous records only hardware. Real tape delay, Prophet 5... But I have tried to reproduce this feeling in the box. I think it's almost impossible. I'm pretty curious how Mike Dehnert make for having a so fat sound with soft.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i don't wanna be a dck here, and I'm just saying this cos I wanna say it. Not in repsonse to anything or anyone.

But don't most of the prodcuers get their sound from the Berghain experience rather than a specific cstyle of production?

That club has a pretty distinctive vibe... if I spent lots of weekends there I'm sure it'd do something to my style of production .
boudo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boudo »

oblioblioblio wrote:i don't wanna be a dck here, and I'm just saying this cos I wanna say it. Not in repsonse to anything or anyone.

But don't most of the prodcuers get their sound from the Berghain experience rather than a specific cstyle of production?

That club has a pretty distinctive vibe... if I spent lots of weekends there I'm sure it'd do something to my style of production .
I'm sure the sound has developed from the atmosphere and the fact that it's a label with artists that most probably hang out together and influence each other.