Demos

- ask away
SHAP
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SHAP »

E-Mails are not personal anyway.

I dont get this whole mass-mail stuff, thats bullshit if you ask me- You dont send your music to every possible label out there just to look who's gonna answer, you choose a label your sound fits in to.

I'd send a CD unless the demo policy says something else.
Everyone can send a mail in a few seconds, but only someone that really takes his time to listen to the releases and thinks his stuff fits to the certain label will take his time to send a cd.
Most label owners i talked to think the same and will always listen and give feedback to a CD.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

If your tracks good and fits in with the label, it will get signed. The way its sent has no relevance to that.
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

SHAP i had that same thought and thats why i decided to go with the cd idea. It's a ton of work to look up labels and burn the CDs though but I'm hoping it's going to be worth it (if I get one response good or bad it will be.)

I understand that minimaltechnohouse but some people might get anoyed with cd's comming all the time when they woul'd rather get an emial... or vice versa.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

JonasEdenbrandt wrote:pheek how do you recomend going about this. If i send them an email do I still show them what music I make threw a link? I'm guessing it gets anoying as a label owner when people send you demos with a template letter. Does writing a more personal one that shows that you listend to there music count more as getting to know the label?
let me just say that an email with a yousendit link and nothing else = DELETE
or an email with "hey, I'm 17 years old and from south of italy, I make love to richie" and then a link = DELETE

If you take the time to first of all listen to the labels releases, so that you send to a label that has more or less the same sound, write a bit about yourself, what other labels you might be working with, if you play regularly, do parties etc etc... Remember, this is a small version of going to a job interview...
and if you send like 2-5 tracks in a zip file, then I would say the chances that label owners might listen to your demo is MUCH higher...
and then just wait, writing tons of new mails asking if we heard the demo is just annoying, we'll get back to you when we have the time...
SHAP
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SHAP »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:If your tracks good and fits in with the label, it will get signed. The way its sent has no relevance to that.
Of course it will be signed, it's not about getting it signed, it's about getting people to listen to it.

CDs are physical, you cant just delete them like an email.
But if you do email, i would get myself some webspace and load my tracks to there, then send links. Rapidshare etc. just take time and energy for the labels.

Yes, and waiting is important. People would be pissed off finding out you already released a track you sent as a demo to them first and might not wanna work with you in the future.

I think italiens are the worst :P
heard about this one guy who sent one mail to 250 labels, but did'nt put them on BCC. Then everyone started to write each other emails about him being an idiot
:)
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

SHAP wrote:CDs are physical, you cant just delete them like an email.
But if you just send a cd with an email address on, then this is the same thing as sending just a link. Write a little letter please.
(and cd's can be thrown out quite easily )
SHAP wrote:But if you do email, i would get myself some webspace and load my tracks to there, then send links. Rapidshare etc. just take time and energy for the labels.
That is for sure the best thing when we can just click a link and stream the track, so we don't have to download etc. There are services where this is possible, so you don't need your own webspace.
SHAP wrote:Yes, and waiting is important. People would be pissed off finding out you already released a track you sent as a demo to them first and might not wanna work with you in the future.
Naa, I wouldn't say that. This is what happens. We all know that people are not sending to 1 label only, so this can of course happen. I don't see the big problem in this one.
SHAP wrote:I think italiens are the worst :P
heard about this one guy who sent one mail to 250 labels, but did'nt put them on BCC. Then everyone started to write each other emails about him being an idiot
You are more right than you think :?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

SHAP wrote:I think italiens are the worst :P
sigh... this happens where i work all the time. reply all to corporate mail anything dumb you can think of. Funny story though but why call out somebodies nationality for a very simple mistake?
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
SHAP
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SHAP »

hey, take it easy, it was just a joke ;)