Netlabels vs GEMA

- free art
choenyi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by choenyi »

Weird, especially weird. I thought there were no copyright laws in Germany (and Italy) whatsoever? Maybe this is false, but why else can you buy 500 different Pink Floyd LPs there??? Hope this comes to "nichts" :?
KLK
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

hi

Post by KLK »

hi,

for spanish artists now sgae and creative commons are close to have a deal where artists can be on both sides without paying any royalties to sgae for 5 years.
after that the artist will choose if still doing it like this or do a regular sgae contract with all the good and bad parts of it.
this is only good for new artists that obiously are not into any of these societies

I hope this is the beginning of a new future for creative commons music

probably if spain is doing this other countires might be doing it also
maybe ask creative commons about this in your country

ciao, Luis O.
Zoiberg
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: hi

Post by Zoiberg »

KLK wrote:for spanish artists now sgae and creative commons are close to have a deal where artists can be on both sides without paying any royalties to sgae for 5 years.
after that the artist will choose if still doing it like this or do a regular sgae contract with all the good and bad parts of it.
this is only good for new artists that obiously are not into any of these societies.
What does this mean ?
Could you explain a bit better?

thanks
Zoiberg
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Zoiberg »

choenyi wrote:Weird, especially weird. I thought there were no copyright laws in Germany (and Italy) whatsoever?
It's obviously false.
KLK
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

hi

Post by KLK »

sorry if was not clear enough

the thing is that sgae (spanish gema) is working with creative commons to make a new way of working with artists rights.
If you enroll into this agreement you will have 5 years of artists rights with sgae but you do not have to pay anything for it and your works will be licensed as creative commons
after those 5 years you choose if you want to stay like this or change to standard sgae contract where you have the sme rights but then you pay to become member and you also get you royalties for all the sales and performances, etc

The person in charge od spanish gema in mi area told me briefly about this so when i get more info i will post it but surely you will find that info at creative commons website very soon

ciao, Luis O.
Zoiberg
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: hi

Post by Zoiberg »

KLK wrote:the thing is that sgae (spanish gema) is working with creative commons to make a new way of working with artists rights.
If you enroll into this agreement you will have 5 years of artists rights with sgae but you do not have to pay anything for it and your works will be licensed as creative commons
after those 5 years you choose if you want to stay like this or change to standard sgae contract where you have the sme rights but then you pay to become member and you also get you royalties for all the sales and performances, etc
why should anyone enroll with the sgae if he doesn't get any royalties ?
just to have his tunes registered maybe?

gracias Luis !
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

Sounds like nothing to lose, nothing to gain. You also have artists rights when you're with creative commons. Guess it's just a red herring to trick people in GEMA-like relationships.
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
31337records
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 31337records »

@pheek

if i may ask how you handled the situation with gema and archipel?
or arent there any artists which have contracts with gema?

i'm kinda worried now since we just started our netlabel and we got
a couple artists which signed gema contracts, so i suppose we would have
to pay for those even if the release is for free ?

maybe if we sell certain releases, would that be a good idea to avoid beeing charged by gema ?
maybe there is a reseller like itunes or something where the GEMA fees
would be included in the price ? any ideas would be appriciated!