tube pre-amps

- ask away
Lee
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

tube pre-amps

Post by Lee »

tube pre-amps. anyone using them? i have tlaudio 5001 quad valve pre-amps. i sometimes use them for mastering and to warm individual samples and tracks with mixed results.
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

i have one for warming certain samples up... but you have to be careful...what i have learned is often you do more to degrade the sound quality than actually help it...sometimes its good if you are recording in through the preamp...but i would suggest getting a sampler with a tube that you can use or some of the old samplers that have that naturally warm sound like the old emu...korg makes the sampler with a tube and from what i hear its cool (its the red one i forget the name) those go about 400 bones...Panytech uses it...saw a photo where they had it there in a live pa setup...
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

i'm into it. i'm into running sound through any external object i can if it will make it sound weird or warm. tape, tube, semi conductor whatever. even running sh!t through a tube guitar amp and recording with a mic can be cool.

@sound degradation: sometimes that is what i am going for.
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

If I had a Tl audio 5001 quad valve pre-amp, yes I would use it.
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

i'm looking into buying some outboard gear to route my sound through.

but i'm not sure what to get :?
Lee
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Lee »

i use them for recording drums, vox, guitar, horns etc. into a digi 002. 8 tubes, 8 ins on the digi, perfect for live drums. but have only begun to use them for processing samples and masters for stratagem and some of my own work. most of the tracks from our last comp went through them. i find it a little tricky because the effect of tube saturation that i'm looking for on a master is subtle and sometimes it's easy to apply too much gain. i'm running thor's tracks for our next release through them now, will listen a few times before deciding to use the versions through the valve or not tho.

http://www.stratagem-musik.com
http://www.catfishrecording.ca
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i use a TLaudio 5013 valve EQ for mastering, also with mixed results.
i tend to use the valve pre-amp stage to warm up my mixes, but rarely press the EQ buttons in, because i think the EQ stage degrades the sound.
the problem is you have to pay big money for a good quality EQ or pre-amp.
the TLA ivory series in my opinion is just not quite up to scratch, it is after all a project studio mid-priced series.
has anyone out there got a Toft audio EQ/Comp ?? i'd like to know what people think of those, as its next level up from the TLA ivory.
maks
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by maks »

one day i hope to have this bad boy

http://rupertneve.com/products/portico-5042/