A request for the netlabels in general!!.

- free art
_minimalnet_
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

A request for the netlabels in general!!.

Post by _minimalnet_ »

This is a request for the netlabels in general, make big covers please, not 100px or 130!!!, at least 400-500px, either blurry covers or pixelateds, etc...

In many occasions I dont know what to do to enlarge a cover, with quality, for put in my blog, I imagine I am not the only case.

It is necessary to take care quality not only in the music, in this society the image is almost so important as the music because the first contact that the people have with it is for the eyes, then take care of the contrast, the color, etc...

An ugly cover does not incite to download a reference.
Last edited by _minimalnet_ on Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Cotumo
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Cotumo »

And much more important:

Don't name your files "lalala.mp3" or "01 lalala.mp3".

It's so easy to make a consistent file structure.

Labelcode_tracknumber_artist_-_trackname.mp3"

For example:

"unfound31_04_-_omar_salgado_-_k-ptus.mp3"

or

IN012_5_Kasper_&_Papol_Noche_Magica_Dilo_Remix.mp3

And please keep the same file structure for all releases (except you don't use the one above :wink: ).

Thanks for your work and will to learn 8)
DJ L'embrouille
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by DJ L'embrouille »

agree that have the same way of naming files is good when you dj. same with the id3/tag.

about pics, having nice cover is sure good but it's not the most important for me.
_minimalnet_
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by _minimalnet_ »

I agree too with that, but I am a few maniac about the image 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think some essential recommendations for the netlabels can would be this megamix (sorry my bad english):

- To have a section to explain the label's license, usually creative commons.

- Not to use terms as "net-label" or "net label" etc, it is necessary to standardize the word for define the concept "free online label" and for that the better is use the word "netlabel".

- To take care of the netlabel's image in general, if no have much knowledge as webmaster (like me), you can choose for wordpress, it is very useful, simple, free and has beautiful templates (themes).

- Indicate with clarity the relase date, author, title and the style, I do not want download noise (i hate :evil:) thinking is a techno release.

- Add RSS system or Newsletter. It is important the visitor does not need anybody to be informed. Very important.

- Rename the tracks intelligently and use tags. Standardize that in all the rels of your label, for example: Labelcode_tracknumber_artist_-_trackname.mp3

- To take care of the reference's image, make big covers, at least 400-500px, either blurry or pixelateds images, etc... Remember: an ugly cover does not incite to download a release.

WILL CONTINUE ....
The Rhythmist
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by The Rhythmist »

We always include 300dpi cover art with our releases, but you have to come to the website to download them. I just had no idea how much the artwork was taken into consideration by people checking out the music. Most people I know just download the audio...artwork is usually ignored (which is a bummer...I know a lot of us put time into creating good artwork). Personally, I like to collect artwork for the releases I get.

As for the file names, I totally agree. It's nice when you can simply look at the file name and know what label it's from, who the artist is, and the name of the track. We definitely need to change our ways. :wink:
Zero:onE
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Zero:onE »

Come on people don't be so demanding! Netlabels are going to put out releases as they started, or as the way they are used to, don't be so spoiled as to demand more than the free music we get. If you want a nice, big, extraordinary sleeve, just make it yourselves or try buying some vinyl for a change! We love Creative Commons but asking for more than what we get is only arrogance. Please be sensible and think before you write posts like this!

cheers,
alex.
.:MinimalAthens:.
.:MinimalLondon:.
Snipupuva_Kukuna
TMCM
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TMCM »

my two cents about:

traktor & ID3 tags:
- please use those fields for what they are supposed to! having the url in the "artist" field and/or something like "artist-trackname" in the "title" field is pretty inconvenient for traktor users.
- in the "album" field put the labelcode followed by the name of the release.
- for the netlabel or the release url use the "comment" field. (ID3v1)
- i think, it would look a bit more professional, if you put some words about your cc license in the "comments" field. (ID3v2)
- and maybe i'm the only one who cares about this, but an extra .nml file included in the .zip for the whole release would be very nice but since thinner is the only netlabel i know with .nml files, i really doubt that anyone cares. :?

cover artwork & winamp:
well, i got this modern skin for winamp (mac osx style), and it supports cover artwork, which means the covers are displayed in the player. the downside is that the pics have to be proper named .jpg files in the same folder. the name must look like this:
(album).jpg
(artist) - (album).jpg
(artist) - (title).jpg
since there is no such standart, i sadly don't see very much of those often good artworks.

as i said, just my two cents...
coffee makes you happy... except when it messes you up.
Twitter Last.FM Facebook
_minimalnet_
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by _minimalnet_ »

Zero:onE I only give some advices so that everything works better, if you do not like, do not read them and dedicate to buy vinyls, as you say. The arrogant seems you.