Making a (sub) bass sound good or full in your mix.

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Sublimator wrote:agree everyone's got different aproach to music composition, mixing, mastering whatever. just saying... trying to say i got good results lately just by making kick shorter to make room for the bass (even without HP filter). cheers! i really try to exclude math away from music but should defently try to disjoint kick & bass by perfect fifths as similar as you said steevio...

defenetly not a bass expert and always interested in topics about low end. please keep posting :)
you know i probably use the technique you're using myself more than anything else, i include myself when i say we should experiment more.

in recent years i just got bored with the normal techniques that are used in all areas of production, and i question traditional techniques like EQ and compression etc. as the first thing to turn to, purely because minimal music has so much space in it, we have absolutely full control over every aspect of every sound we put in there, and most of those techniques were developed to deal with the problems assoiciated with recording live instruments.
this is why i think the mathematics are so important to us, and its not exactly quantum physics were talking about. this stuff is simple and everyone should know about it and take it into account when producing, if you choose to ignore it, you're denying yourself a powerful resource.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

The value of whats being discussed re: frequencies is obviously important but for me theres the danger of missing the fact that youre actually making music and not in a science lab performing a psychoacoustic experiment.

When steevio mentioned the track/sound building approach based on choosing sounds with the previous sounds harmonic content in mind, id expect some people are gonna just get confused. I cant say its something ive ever done. Im aware of the basic frequencies as my ears tell me how things sound but id have to think too much about it if i wanted to get analytical.

Also it would assume you are going to stick with the same sound you start with, i know i constantly tweak and sometimes throw out certain sounds and start again right up until the end. Of course if you use samples, its not always possible to know their harmonic content and even changing a sequence/riff is potentially going to alter a mix based on what frequencies are doing what and when.

Theres some definite positives from it but surely not to the expence of the ears? Theres also fx to consider when talking about frequency content.

There must be a reason why mastering engineers hp at 30hz, its not just about headroom. Its said we can hear down to 20hz but lower frequencies can be 'felt'. But what would be the point of this in a musical application? Ok, they might be felt but you wont have any sense of pitch down there. Just how low are we talking? Theres a point where there is no point but i dont know where it is.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:The value of whats being discussed re: frequencies is obviously important but for me theres the danger of missing the fact that youre actually making music and not in a science lab performing a psychoacoustic experiment.

When steevio mentioned the track/sound building approach based on choosing sounds with the previous sounds harmonic content in mind, id expect some people are gonna just get confused. I cant say its something ive ever done. Im aware of the basic frequencies as my ears tell me how things sound but id have to think too much about it if i wanted to get analytical.

Also it would assume you are going to stick with the same sound you start with, i know i constantly tweak and sometimes throw out certain sounds and start again right up until the end. Of course if you use samples, its not always possible to know their harmonic content and even changing a sequence/riff is potentially going to alter a mix based on what frequencies are doing what and when.

Theres some definite positives from it but surely not to the expence of the ears? Theres also fx to consider when talking about frequency content.

There must be a reason why mastering engineers hp at 30hz, its not just about headroom. Its said we can hear down to 20hz but lower frequencies can be 'felt'. But what would be the point of this in a musical application? Ok, they might be felt but you wont have any sense of pitch down there. Just how low are we talking? Theres a point where there is no point but i dont know where it is.
well mastering engineers dont routinely HP at 30 Hz, and you have to remember filtering isnt a brickwall, its a slope, and there is no default slope, it depends on the kit youre using. i dont thinka dubstep producer using an A0 in his bassline would be happy if the engineer HP'd at 30 Hz.

ive had my records mastered in many different studios and i always attend record cuts, and no two engineers do things the same way, or use the same kit, 20 or 25 Hz is more common as the cutoff in most of the mastering studios ive been in.

you're right to point out using samples is a different situation to creating your own sounds, so lets just say i'm talking from a synthesis point of view, as there are plenty of guys on the forum using synthesis, so anyone who doesnt simply ignore me.

personally i can perceive pitch down to at least 27 Hz, but surely music isnt just about pitch, especially techno. what you feel is equally important.

i take your point about the psychoacoustic experiment thing, but lets get this in perspective, say i take three weeks to write a tune, i would probably spend approximately 5 minutes working out what harmonics i'm using in my low frequency spectrum, and then maybe do a couple of spectrum analysises of the whole tune at necessary points and make a few adjustments, a total of maybe 20 minutes work.

i wear a hoody in my studio not a white coat bro :)
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Thats because you know what you are doing and how you work. You make all your own noises and therefore are aware of what frequencies are present in the sounds. Im not knocking it by any means and ive done it myself although its been more related to musical tuning than mixing. Def good advice though.

The hp @ 30hz thing is just something ive come across a lot when reading, i wouldnt have the knowledge about mastering to know whether its the 'norm' or not. And yes, the roll off is obviously a slope and not a straight cut off. I dunno, not really given it a lot of thought, i guess though, unless you are underpinning higher frequencies, (like your A/27.5hz) with an A/55hz and maybe an A/110, theres not much going in the 'normal' bass region?

Ive heard a few tunes with very low fundamentals sat under bass, some of the notes get lost in the really low stuff (on my hifi speakers) i cant hear them on my monitors but theres wall shaking rumbling going on.

Might be my perception but i could swear low frequencies induce emotion. I actually dislike very low frequencies, i dont know if its any specific one but I get an unpleasant, panic like feeling setting in on some of them, quite disturbing. Also, as I live in the city, i get traffic going past a lot and when boy racers with their bass bins go past, the low hum and vibration also has an unpleasant effect on my state of being too.

Maybe im just a weirdo but its def not imagined lol.
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

some great advice in this thread cant wait to try out the techniques discussed, im gonna be grabbing an SH-101 in the coming weeks, was wondering, is it possible to achieve a nice sine sub bass on that synth, ive checked vids and cant seem to find any with that sound, it sounds nice for leads, and other basslines though.
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

gowans wrote:some great advice in this thread cant wait to try out the techniques discussed, im gonna be grabbing an SH-101 in the coming weeks, was wondering, is it possible to achieve a nice sine sub bass on that synth, ive checked vids and cant seem to find any with that sound, it sounds nice for leads, and other basslines though.
actually my favourite sub right now is a sh101 square wave filtered right, right down and heavily compressed.

I use samples but I imagine you'll get even better results from the real thing. not sure how tight the filter is on it, right down there, so you may need to low pass it again when you've bounced it.

actually, I find low-passing in series does have a suprising amount of effect, even when the first filter is (allegedly) working on a 36 dB slope.
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

ah thanks mate, i thought you could by filtering the square wave, i wont be able to use another filter though, except maybes some eq on my desk, it'll be running off my mpc using kenton midi/cv converter. ive got the cash now for one but i just keep putting it off and thinking theres perhaps a better option out there. im well into my dubby stuff at the mo and also been listening to some old jungle, love those big subby basslines, i know they will be pitched 808 bass drums, but im wanting something else to create basslines too, if you can get a really nice sine sub out the 101 ill grab one.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Here is something from the SH101 freeware synth. I find this is its typical sound, so perhaps check the freeware synth out if you like what you hear.

http://soundcloud.com/blm/trying-too-hard

There is also fantastic synth called mono something that is packaged in the new Cubase.