Producing Berghain techno?

- ask away
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

something ive done is resample my patterns, but not directly, ill mic up my monitors from a distance, and i always get something different and it feels more...alive, the only problem with that is i tend to lose alot of strength in the signal, but theres a ton of ways to boost it thru some eq work or compression. I enjoy that.
signatures suck
agodi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by agodi »

datalus wrote:
Atheory wrote:
agodi wrote:Ive been experimenting with similar sounds at the moment by doubling up some of my synth and drum channels, minorly changing some of the parimiters of the duplicate channels and then filtering them to be slightly lower in the mix. The result for me has been a wider grittier texture
this is interersting.
i've experimented with something similar called parallel compression.

lately i've been sending (or busing) all my drums to a compressor and mixing the dry signal (the drums pre-send/bus) with the wet signal (compressed drums on a send/bus).

pretty simple, the devil is in the details as some days i feel like i do get pleasing results, other days i just can't seem to dial it in, but the more i do it the more i find i start to get familiar with it and i've had more of the former days than latter.
mlexicon wrote:something ive done is resample my patterns, but not directly, ill mic up my monitors from a distance, and i always get something different and it feels more...alive, the only problem with that is i tend to lose alot of strength in the signal, but theres a ton of ways to boost it thru some eq work or compression. I enjoy that.
I guess the general gist of these techniques is mixing a strong signal with a similar signal that has been altered in some way(compressed, effected, resampled, recorded) to develope a better texture.
@ mlexicon How do you mic up your monitors?
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

do people use parallel/ ny compression much? i never really bothered. the principles seem sound though, maybe i should try it again. not really wild on using compression though.....
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

mlexicon wrote:something ive done is resample my patterns, but not directly, ill mic up my monitors from a distance, and i always get something different and it feels more...alive, the only problem with that is i tend to lose alot of strength in the signal, but theres a ton of ways to boost it thru some eq work or compression. I enjoy that.
I'd like to hear examples where you've done this. interesting technique!
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

Atheory why don't you like compression?

I understand the fault that it removes dynamics from sounds but it can also change dynamics of a sound in a positive way. Very much so if you don't use makeup gain.

I'm just wondering.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

lots of people don't like using compression. i don't

compression is good for real instruments and vocals, but in techno world most sounds are at a consistent level so there is not much use for it.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

Atheory wrote:do people use parallel/ ny compression much? i never really bothered. the principles seem sound though, maybe i should try it again. not really wild on using compression though.....
I guess it all depends on how you use it.
I send the drums group to a compressor with 20:1 ratio and very low treshold (compress between 10 to 20 db) and fast attack so i wont have too much transients in the mix, sometimes i also add just a bit of saturation.
than i rout the drums group into another group along with percussions and other short rhythmic sounds and use another compressor to pump the whole thing.
its sound very different from sending the group with the pumping compressor to the parallel compression.

The thing about parallel compression imo, is that it makes the drums perceived like they are louder than they actually are and cut better through the mix.
I put the parallel aux fader on -20 - -17db. if you just duplicate the drums and add those -20db, it wont do the same effect.

But at the end, its all matter of taste.
laza
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by laza »

i guess compression on real instruemtns is used mostly to limit the dynamic.
in techno its used more for sound design, so i absolutely think compression is essentiell for making techno.
myspace.com/gergoemusic
myspace.com/schwarzweissmusik