getting startet

- ask away
gubenhinden
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

getting startet

Post by gubenhinden »

hi there,

i'am thinking about starting to make some music, because i haven't had time befor, so i wannted to ask what the best way to start, when you got no know'how on any programm.

is it usefull to just grap a programm like reason and just start by clicking some buttons and see whats comming out? or is it usefull to study the help until you know every function...
it think the main think is to know what kind you like to produce, in my case, just deep & minimalistic sounds.

does there exist any good online books or workshops to have a look on?
starting with a programm wich is so complex like reason, i am frustrated after an hour :-) or is it better to get some hardware to start with like a 303 or i dont know?

hope you guy's understand what i like to say and have a good advice for me.

8)
Zinthek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Zinthek »

You could get a program, read the entire manual and magazines and all that.
In my opinion that's quite boring.
My advice, just get some program (Ableton, Reason, Cubase...whatever) learn the basics with some tutorial or something and then just start experimenting.
Much more fun then reading boring manuals for hours.
revy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by revy »

yes i agree, experimenting is a fun way to come up with your own style. trying to learn everything at once is too hard...and everyone has their own workflow anyways.

tutorials are ok too, also some interesting threads on this forum or others, maybe some youtube videos...lots of resources for tips and tricks. if theres something u cant figure out...just search or ask :)

most importantly have fun
daragh99
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by daragh99 »

Have goals and be patient.

Goals - When I started out I had the goal that I'd be able to put together something like a track - learning how to make a good arrangement with less emphasis on excellent production techniques (you can pick these up as you go along). After that my goal was to make something that was well produced, that wouldn't sound out of place in a club - not necessarily brilliant but competent. Now I'm working on making some quality stuff!

As with anything, it can take a while to get there. I've been mucking about with reason for the last three years and it's only recently that I've been happy with the results - but I've learned so much on the way!

If anyone wants to listen, http://myspace.com/daraghbyrne for two complete tracks and an early version of a third (Brain Crash). Feedback welcome :)
--------------
No work.

http://www.myspace.com/daraghbyrne
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

if your an ultra nerd you would read the whole manual and get started, but everytime you run into sometihng important, you wouldnt know it because your taking in soo much information anyway...

i say if you really want to be a bad ass at say Reason

start with 1 redrum and work that thing as much as you can
learn all the buttons not my just reading, but by doing...so u understand the importance of what someones trying to tell you

u could almost make a whole song with just a redrum

but my point is to focus on one thing and get the most out of it

once you think youve mastered the redrum.....go to the subtractor...or nn 19

and repeat the process
signatures suck
JCH
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JCH »

Learn some basics like how a track is built up, etc

Remember the it is you who funk the machines, not machines.... :D

Look at some of the clips at:

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/

Apply what works for you....
Sebastien Gabriel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Sebastien Gabriel »

Experimenting with sound is the first thing to do.

Understand the music you want to produce before you spend time and money into financing your project/career.

Start with a simple program then move up, the basics are the most important part, I'd say start with FL Studio as it is easily the easiest program to learn and it is quite an amazing program aswell. Those who say it's sh!t know nothing about it.

I've been producing techno for 5 years and it's all self taught. I started on FL studio and basically moved my way up to Cubase and Pro Tools, don't start with the much more advanced software if you have no clue as to what the basic essentials are.
gubenhinden
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by gubenhinden »

thanks alot for the tips! that helped me alot :!: :D