Unreleased music being shared - politics

- wax
Alert
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

My two cents...

Post by Alert »

Hi folks,

I give my friends who DJ unreleased and released tracks of mine on CD to play when they do shows.

I only give out tracks to people I know, and live sets to folks who I see at shows but don't necessarily know.

Honest people will buy music, and dishonest people will steal it. I'd rather give out music than have people steal it. It's really up to the individual's morality/view on cause and effect that determines their actions.

My two cents...

Sean
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

* on pheeks original post I agree completely if you were put on the trust list... and if you care to be trusted I would expect that from anyone I sent it to... sorry to hear about your situation..
Der geile Ami wrote:I still think you guys are seeing this at hte wrong angle. The more people illegally downloading your stuff means the more people are aware of what you are doing. This should generate much more interest in bookings, which pay better anyway, no? The more the market gets flooded with illegal copies, the more any dj will have to work whatever material they are playing.
I agree completely..

patrick bateman wrote:I don't believe that these people really do have any influence in our scene regarding bookings and such,

do you see what I mean?
no...

your saying people that listen to techno... dont go out to listen to techno..

that makes no sense.. * as someone mentioned above records were used for promotional...

if in the end you can write a track / put it on the net and 100/ 1000's are getting it... and you didn't spend a dime to promote / 24/7 a 100 bucks in gas / 1000 in for plane travel to go state - state...

how is this still being attacked as the reason..[?]

in our economy - banks and financial institutions are going out of business / people selling their homes for under market conditions / which leaves the other home owners with decreased value...

just a personal opinion:

everyone is struggling... world wide... how is it that after 10 years people are blaming the net for record sales.. guess what....people that make millions off rap cds are making a lot less... they are working day jobs..

* in 3 more years people are going to be waiting in line for food and not even have a net connection / (maybe) then we will be grateful for what we dont have..

so if in techno at the start their was little to no money and its was all for promotional use for shows...

how is this any different.. the net is more useful.. not the escape for a declining economy...
Petar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Petar »

/me np: unknown-unreleased rendered.wav

who wants to trade ?

:lol:

will be out 2010
nubianmindz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nubianmindz »

Cleetus_Van_Damme wrote:this is what is killing d+b, its simple economics.

Bedroom producers = cottage industry. Nil returns, even if/when track is signed.

Bedroom producer gives tune to mate to listen to - mate sticks tune up on a p2p sharer.

People grab track, go on forums, go 'im producer xyz's biggest fan' (but im not going to buy their trax, i just got it for free).

Producer xyz when producing now holds tunes back exclusively for them, meaning their is 0 chance of it hitting the market, thus keeping them in nil returns.

The amount of times I have played out and have seen dj's called out/thrown off the decks for playing dodgy cd's of tracks they have no right to own is unbelievable!!!

I just play safe, I sold my CD deck, I had very little use for it anyway. My house is strictly vinyl only! If its on vinyl, its official, your harming nobody, end of!
u do have a point but what really killed d&b is that the music became sh!t many years ago.

But that's a whole other topic.

Anyways,I agree with Pheek. If you're given an unreleased tune by the producer KEEP THAT sh!t TO YOURSELF!!!!!!
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

john clees wrote:* on pheeks original post I agree completely if you were put on the trust list... and if you care to be trusted I would expect that from anyone I sent it to... sorry to hear about your situation..
Der geile Ami wrote:I still think you guys are seeing this at hte wrong angle. The more people illegally downloading your stuff means the more people are aware of what you are doing. This should generate much more interest in bookings, which pay better anyway, no? The more the market gets flooded with illegal copies, the more any dj will have to work whatever material they are playing.
I agree completely..

patrick bateman wrote:I don't believe that these people really do have any influence in our scene regarding bookings and such,

do you see what I mean?
no...

your saying people that listen to techno... dont go out to listen to techno..

that makes no sense.. * as someone mentioned above records were used for promotional...

if in the end you can write a track / put it on the net and 100/ 1000's are getting it... and you didn't spend a dime to promote / 24/7 a 100 bucks in gas / 1000 in for plane travel to go state - state...

how is this still being attacked as the reason..[?]

in our economy - banks and financial institutions are going out of business / people selling their homes for under market conditions / which leaves the other home owners with decreased value...

just a personal opinion:

everyone is struggling... world wide... how is it that after 10 years people are blaming the net for record sales.. guess what....people that make millions off rap cds are making a lot less... they are working day jobs..

* in 3 more years people are going to be waiting in line for food and not even have a net connection / (maybe) then we will be grateful for what we dont have..

so if in techno at the start their was little to no money and its was all for promotional use for shows...

how is this any different.. the net is more useful.. not the escape for a declining economy...
Just saw this, and must admit that I really don't understand what you're writing :shock:
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

just about how people (blame) the internet for declining sales...

and the entire economy is declining and the argument is very old / tiring / & outdated.
puzzle
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by puzzle »

I consider Pheeks statement definitely useful, cause I didn't know that labels would really cancel a release for those reasons. I don't use digital mixing devices at all, but it's interesting to read about consequences that might occur in worst case. Expanding our consciousness was his main aim I think.

This should have been a "sticky non-direct reply topic".
async
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by async »

I've personally given tracks to friends and then heard those tracks played by random dj / superstar dj X 4 months later at a party. I even walked up to him and said "hey, you played my song!" and that guy was almost clueless... thought that my buddy's friend's friend made it. Just goes to show you that some folks will even stab their buddies in the back (or their buddy's buddy's buddy in the back).
_Mark