politics of acquiring unreleased music

- open
vrejulf
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by vrejulf »

i'm wondering , how do they actualy get out ?
who slips them under the sleve , and how do you producers protect yourselves against them ?
cause i guess that living on top of a mountain , isolated just for production reasons ain't a good ideea .

I'm positive that some of you have been through situations such as ...
so maybe sharing the experience would be helpfull for others .
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

My two cents: a release politic which leaves one with the feeling of being spammed has nothing to do with with art.

Sharing unreleased music implies that someone has already shared it, releasing it as a vinyl edition only won't help too. The only way out is to stop feeding the godamn starsystem with feeding people with pomos in hope to increase the sales once the record's out.
harold_f
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harold_f »

PHEEK, well said.

RESPECT.
Fonque
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Fonque »

thomasjaldemark wrote:
Fonque wrote: Most of the people getting them illegally before it's released will get themselves a legal copy afterwards.
I would like to know where you get this "truth" from...
...probably out of the same sources you're getting your "truth"

Of course I cannot speak for mp3-Bedroom-DJs, but I've been DJing for quite a long time now and most colleagues I know see this point as I see it.
"What is underground? Dig a fucking hole and stick your head in it."

http://www.myspace.com/mrfonk

"yeah, vinyl is real! all these cd's and downloads are bullshit, they aint real."
Leighton Ashcroft
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: politics of acquiring unreleased music

Post by stevësto »

pheek wrote:Have you ever read what I said???

Did you know I've been releasing my music for free since 1999?
Did you know I've been doing conferences in 5 countries about how free music is the key to promotion?
yes, no, and no. why the hell should i know your life story? i read what you "WROTE", which did not have your life story in it, but holy fck 2 people in this thread ignore this part of what i wrote:
stevesto wrote: ok i dont know that for a fact personally you,
it seems silly to me, for a producer (NOT YOU PHEEK) to shake his finger and call people names on the internet, have them "banned", etc, because of sharing an unreleased track. you've (NOT YOU PHEEK) got no one to blame but yourself, you should never have put that digital file anywhere else besides your own computer. or you can be mad at the one or two people you gave it to for breaking your trust. but for fucks sake dont bitch/ban the random bedroom dj who was 23rd down the line of being handed down that unreleased track. and dont expect the entire internet of djs to have this universal halo over their head and say "well i shouldn't play this tonight at my crappy gig infront of 10 people because i know its not released".

it just seems silly to me thats all. you have a problem, now find a solution. the solution is definitely not to bitch etc on the internet.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

stevësto wrote:it seems silly to me, for a producer (NOT YOU PHEEK) to shake his finger and call people names on the internet, have them "banned", etc, because of sharing an unreleased track. you've (NOT YOU PHEEK) got no one to blame but yourself, you should never have put that digital file anywhere else besides your own computer. or you can be mad at the one or two people you gave it to for breaking your trust. but for fucks sake dont bitch/ban the random bedroom dj who was 23rd down the line of being handed down that unreleased track.
If you read me correctly, I never talked about banning. Not sure where you got that. The point of my post was about how producers feel about the act you guys do. Again, I have the impression you don't understand what I'm talking about.

I'm really and only insisting on the consequences, nothing else. And again, I repeat, I know that whatever I will say, it will still happen.

Regarding "never put the file outside my computer", that's absurd. How will it get signed if I don't send it to labels? :roll:
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

just my thoughts..

if you (make) money dont' steal... buy mp3 or vinyl

if you get burned / cut off certain folks who you may feel you can't trust.

I think sending it to labels... for promotional use.. / putting trust in your friends NOT to share and they do.. / and the thread topic...

are three different things..

I can relate with jp how frustrated as an artist would be if he uncovered something magical... only to have it not released to due a leek... ( o u c h )

perhaps don't trust those certain individuals... and send the track to an mp3 site so it gets heard by the world. P L E A S E share it...

where is that track jp.. I wanna hear it.. :)

good music is [still] and always will be [hard] to come by..

in the end - like in the beginning...

it's about having fun / getting lost in music / expressing yourself / and letting go

continue / skip / repeat

:)
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

stevësto wrote: you are saying your point of view to feel better about hiding the truth you know deep inside. the truth that at some point early in your dj/whatever career, you did the same thing too.
[...]
the other truth i think is being hidden inside by producers is how hard or how much time it takes to make a track. i have read interviews where the guy who made a well known hit said he made it in a weekend start to finish. perhaps he doesnt care if people are playing his unreleased track, but the guy who slaves thousands of hours will if someone plays his. sometimes a really good track doesnt take a lot of time to make.

so with those "truths", i ask you the same question, do you feel better now that you shared your point of view.
Gosh, I hate when there's people who try to tell other people something about "the truth" - that's actually telling people about your own ignorance. If you don't respect the artists' opinion, if you don't respect they put a lot of work into it (which is usually longer than a few hours - just because some tracks are done well in on weekend, doesn't mean all the tracks released aren't worth the money), then don't expect the artists to respect your point of view.

@ Pheek: I can agree on everything you wrote. Respect.

And one more thing: I never DJ unreleased music, usually not even my own one. And I still see people enjoying my sets. Just my two cents...
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)