influence and history of techno music

- open
robert lowell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by robert lowell »

juan, kevin and derrick lived and went to high school in belleville. its a small quaint town surrounded by man-made lakes. 30 minutes from west of detroit. i know it all too well, thats where i grew up. jaun was heavily influenced by alvin toffler the futurist and created music with any kind of electronic music making machines they could aquire. ann arbor was also an influential part of the techno movement early on. the nectarine ballroom. richie and mathew his brother, threw parties around town. solar, a techno night at the blind pig (about everyone played there).
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

chrisdisco wrote: - my gut says that the reason why people keep pushing this detroit myth so hard is the fact that detroit no longer has the same level of creativity or innovation that it once did.
Dunno bout yr guts, but your ears should try to listen to some FXHE records for instance...
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

SLICES wrote:Did you know that Talla 2XLC used the word Techno in 1983 allready?
He worked at a recordshop in Frankfurt and had a Techno bin there for electronic music and he also started the Technoclub in 1984. At that time Techno was everything from Kraftwerk to Human League to Depeche Mode to Cabaret Voltaire, all the european stuff that influenced a lot of Detroit producers. So Techno was born before they called it like that in Detroit. They did their own version influenced by the european stuff combined with motown and other black music influences. So i wouldn´t say Techno started in Detroit, they "just" took it further and played a really important role of course. But Chicago, Sheffield, Frankfurt, Berlin, Belgium ......was also important and influencial.

PS. I think Kraftwerk first used the word TECHNO in 1986 in Musique non-stop
Dude, nice to read that someone still reminds that Frankfurt also had once influence :)

Übringens: the Techno Club is getting 23 this year!
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re:

Post by Measax »

nubianmindz wrote:
Michael^Heaven wrote:This will give some insight into the early Chicago house scene...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXO3QvV5o70

8)
there's a few Chicago House documentaries flying about at the mo,which I need to get hold of.

Anyone seen Maestro???

8)
Yes. I didn't think it was very well done. The best part was an extra bonus piece based on ron hardy who I have like since I was little because my cusin was a hudge music box freak. The rest is a little over done. There are some good parts - but it is worth a look once. I wouldn't buy it though.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Duh, Kraftwerk invented techno!

Post by trak660 »

I would say that it goes back to people like Kraftwerk and Giorgio Moroder. :)
What we're used to hearing today is more Chicago-Detroit , though. Their scenes started up around the same time that affordable sequencers replaced tape and razors, which is why much of the innovation in the '80s and '90s happened there.
As far as minimal house and techno is concerned, it sort of just happened. I don't attribute its creation to any single artist. I do know that I sure played a lot of Robert Hood, DBX, DJ Sneak, Jeff Mills, Paul Johnson, Neil Landstrumm and X-Trak in 1995, though. :D
Michael^Heaven
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re:

Post by Michael^Heaven »

"So knives out
Cook him up
Squash his head
Put him in the pot "-jz
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

From what Ive gathered in the US atleast, is that 'techno' was a buzz word exclusive to detroit.

Alot of the detroit guys in the mid to late 80's were going to chicago to have their tracks played, because at that time the chicago house scene was hype sh!t. In many of the predominately underground black clubs in chicago, the detroit techno sound was still labeled as house music. The buzz term 'techno' didnt really become known in those clubs until the late 80s and into the early 90s.
nubianmindz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nubianmindz »

Torque wrote:Say what you want but the truth is Detroit created techno. It's not a secret. Of course it was influenced by house music, funk, Krafwerk, Italio Disco and all that sht but the truth is that even the word techno didn't exist in music till detroit. The difference between the detroit stuff and all the other genres at the time was that Detroit Techno is themed because it was purely about futurism. There is as much influence from the people i just mentioned as from Fritz Lang, George Orwell and Aldous Huxley. It's not just the music that made it techno, it was the mood. Yes it is simplistic to say that Juan Atkins invented techno but it's the truth because without Juan around to show all these people how to use those machines techno would have been a one man show. Saying techno came from Detroit is not an opinion, It's the truth. I know some of you may think thats a stuck up thing to say for a person that is from detroit, but i'm not saying it to discount all the things that are going on now because all of that is important too. Don't try to rob us of that history by trying to discount it, we really don't have anything left here to hold on to.
I agree.

The weird thing is the same thing happened in rock & roll.

We know Chuck Berry & Little Richard were the inventors & pioneers but now everyone wants to say it was Elvis Presley who started it all.

WTF?

Why are some ppl so determined to rob others of their history?

:(