Alesis M1 Active MkII Monitors

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Good thing about the Alesis is they replicate a club sound very well. they are flat sound, which is the best thing for long studio sessions because they don't fatigue your ears.

I use these and Mackie HR624's and I much prefer the Alesis.

Alesis ProLinear 820 are even better.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

tone-def wrote:Good thing about the Alesis is they replicate a club sound very well. they are flat sound, which is the best thing for long studio sessions because they don't fatigue your ears.

how do you swap between the two? I'm looking to buy another set for comparing sound differences between speakers.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
MicroMatek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by MicroMatek »

Zoiberg wrote:M1 Active MK2 are great monitors for their price.
Guess why they are still produced by alesis?

Some friends of mine use them and their mixes translate well to my Genelecs 8050.
Yess.....i'm using them and they're ok for their price.

------------------------------
http://www.myspace.com/micromatek
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

hydrogen wrote:how do you swap between the two? I'm looking to buy another set for comparing sound differences between speakers.
I use the mackies when i'm in my friends room but use my alesis when making music on my own.
nathan_fr
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nathan_fr »

hydrogen wrote:
tone-def wrote:Good thing about the Alesis is they replicate a club sound very well. they are flat sound, which is the best thing for long studio sessions because they don't fatigue your ears.

how do you swap between the two?
I'm looking to buy another set for comparing sound differences between speakers.
use a mixer, or plug u other pairs of monitor on others outputs of your soundcard, then you set up on the panel of your soundcard
Alphajuno
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Alphajuno »

I have some Alesis back in the UK and as said they do a great job of replicating the club sound.

I wouldnt like to rely on them 100% however.
EoN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by EoN »

I had these Alesis monitors for around 3 years or so. In my opinion theses monitors sound ok, until you hear/work with ANY other set of monitors, or play your music out on ANY PA :) Then you learn they're shithouse.

They are VERY very muddy in the low/low-mid range. They are not flat. Honestly, I cross referenced tracks I produced on these with many other studios, and got the chance to play them live on PA's in clubs etc, and eventually came to the realisation that they were just crap. I'd come back and cut back the bass - 'tighten it up' (or what i THOUGHt was tightening it up), then i'd play it out again and it'd be garbage.

I've now got Mackie HR-824's, and the difference is absolutely remarkable.

I use the Alesis for DJ/mixing now which can be cool - the bass can be good for this sort of thing, but not for producing.

I knew when I first bought them that they weren't the best, but in hindsight, knowing what I do now, I can see that IF you can afford it, probably best to try something else :) I think another piece of the puzzle is that when you buy your first monitors, its quite possible your ears can't hear the difference yet, but given some time you'll start to notice, and at that time you dont want to have been 'programmed' with the Alesis sound :)
dzan
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dzan »

Finally I've got my own Alesis monitors and I must say that I really expected much more obvious sound.. The bass is a bit too hard, too agressive as opposed to the mids..

Maybe I wouldn't notice that if I didn't hear the monitors of a friend.

I'm a bit disappointed but also happy because this are my best monitors after all.. :)

Conclusion: In the future I will never buy monitors anymore before I haven't heared the sound of it.