Crosstown Rebels is finished ?????

- wax
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

tolfrey wrote: The kids that come to the clubs need to look up and see dj's playing vinyl for them to want to go out and buy it themselves.
Or become anal retentive white f*cks but that's another story :lol:
nihad
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nihad »

tolfrey wrote:
nihad wrote:
tolfrey wrote:I for one have converted as much as i can back to vinyl. A full digital world would suck. The kids that come to the clubs need to look up and see dj's playing vinyl for them to want to go out and buy it themselves.
does DVS like traktor scratch and serato count as vinyl in your world? :-)
No vinyl, is vinyl, always will be. :D

omg, i feel fooled by native instruments, said traktor scratch was vinyl ... damn, gonna sue them ... :roll:
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

fader wrote:an artist cannot survive from downloads only
most artists at least get something from digital release and often nothing from vinyl because the costs are becoming too high... so not really true. But I guess that all depends from label to label: some still sell more vinyl, others (like ours) more digital... I'm not really concerned about whether something sells on vinyl or digital, I'm already happy if someone buys the download/vinyl instead of just grabbing it on slsk or whatever.

As long as the artist gets something (right) for his effort and a label can keep on going, I couldn't care less on what format the music is. And after all, it's the music that counts.
fader
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fader »

it's the label that carries those costs, an artist will always receive his royalties according to the contract.
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

fader wrote:an artist will always receive his royalties according to the contract.
man i wish that were the case in this industry!
Dantron
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Contract

Post by Dantron »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:
fader wrote:an artist will always receive his royalties according to the contract.
man i wish that were the case in this industry!
I'd say more often than not in this industry, a contract is best used as a hand towel. :oops:
fader
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fader »

i can only talk for myself of course :)
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

fader wrote:it's the label that carries those costs, an artist will always receive his royalties according to the contract.
?

The royalties (except the advance) are usually calculated on the profit. So if you lose money from the vinyl sales, your royalty is also zero, no?

Also, the royalties on digital are usually 50% where it's more common for vinyl to have a 15% or similar royalty.

So, I think the artist is better off digitally, because the costs are considerably lower, the point where the profit (and the royalties) start is lower.

Think that goes for most labels and also for Curle I think.