Sending demo's

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

pheek wrote:
Keagan wrote:for any serious label you're going to need at least a cd in the mail.
Definition of a serious label please :idea:

----------------------------

For the record, I've discussed that topic many times in boards and blogs. Here's a post I did a while ago. Might be useful:

I see from times to times some people asking how they should proceed to send a demo to a label. I answered a few times and I think I should post something for everyone. Ok, so you made music and you think you should share it with the rest of world? You’re ready to go for a release? Let’s see how to proceed (well, at least, how most of the labels like people to do it).

* When you have done at least 3-4 tracks, you should do an important test: make other people listen to it. Maybe you want to go to a little bar or club and ask local DJs to play it. This will be a test drive to see if it sounds good in a club. A lot of people are not at ease with mastering, which is ok but a test on a bigger sound system will reveal a lot of the imperfection; also, you will get feedback from the DJ and/or the crowd. Quite important part.

* Your music has passed the test of feedback, now you think you should send it to a label. This is where it all starts. Do you have a few labels in mind? Do you have and collect records or know your artists by heart? This is quite important because you want to send your music to the right place. Many times labels get music that has no link to the music direction they have in mind and guess what, if you’re not on it, you’re wasting your time and theirs. So here, you might want to read about the label, its discography, its artists and make the right choice. If you’re not sure, go to your local record shop and ask for someone to listen to it to fill you with suggestions.

* After selecting a list of labels, get the contact of its A&R. Important here: get in contact with the label first. This ice breaking operation make things easier. You can introduce yourself, link the label to your web page/Myspace (good idea to get one if you dont) and ask what’s the label’s plan for the upcoming year. Maybe the label is booked ahead or not looking for artists, but then, when you create a relationship, you can start to work on something.

o Do not send a mp3 attached to an email. Very annoying and it’s not practical.

o Do not send a one liner email with a link. Impersonal and rude. I almost always ignore those emails as they reveal a lack of personality.

o Do not send a mass email to 1000 different labels. Again, this is impersonal, it makes the label feel you’re a junk food artist who is desperate to get signed.

o Don’t harrass the label’s A&R with long emails and repetitive or intense demands to be on the label.

o Be polite, use a readable email to get in touch. English is usually the main international language and if you barely speak it, ask someone to communicate for you. It will make you get a better first impression.

o Don’t send a CD to the label before getting in touch first. It might just end up in a pile. You can email them back to see if they got it.

o Don’t call (on the phone) a label out of the blue. Always better to get in touch by email first.

* Once you got the Ok to send a demo, there’s 2 choices:
o Some labels insist you send a CD, then no need for a fancy presentation. Just use a clean cover and make sure to put all information in the package.

o Send mp3’s only if the label is ok with it. Use 320 kbps format to encode.

* Last but not least, don’t ever send unfinished music. This is actually something I often see and don’t understand. Would you serve your guest a uncooked meal? You want your music to shine and if you send something undone, most of the labels will believe you’re either insecure or clumsy (considering an unfinished track will not sound that good).

You should be set to get some action. Good luck to all!
+1

this is the definitive advice on this subject !!

i'd like to add that it has to be a CD for me, i spend enough time on computers already, and i always listen to the CDs people send, whereas whether i download a yousendit is down to whether i've got the time to deal with it.
plus i get drowned in random links and mass mailouts, i hardly ever check them.
Kilevox
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Kilevox »

hydrogen wrote:
Kilevox wrote:I think the most labels don't listen to the DEMOs.
haha... kilevox but richie hawtin plays yours! lol! :)
that was hard work my friend.
www.myspace.com/benryser
www.benryser.com

.... minimal is not a hype ....
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

thanks for the nice and constructive input (especially pheek's) !
Wish us luck for our prospection then!

@ Kilevox, how did you get hawtin to play your songs?
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
dazza
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dazza »

Opuswerk wrote:thanks for the nice and constructive input (especially pheek's) !
Wish us luck for our prospection then!

@ Kilevox, how did you get hawtin to play your songs?
By sending it to him.
SHAP
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SHAP »

They do, but it takes time...a label manager has alot of other things to do.
Check out the myspace sites, some label write there what and how you should send your sh!t.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

SHAP wrote:
They do, but it takes time...a label manager has alot of other things to do.
Check out the myspace sites, some label write there what and how you should send your sht.
Kilevox sound discouraged. I think most of the labels listen but almost none take the time to write back because the more it goes, the more we get flooded by music, demos, tracks. I say, if you guys follow my guidelines, there's really good chances you'll get an answer.

But yeah, you really need patience these days.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

pheek wrote:
Keagan wrote:for any serious label you're going to need at least a cd in the mail.
Definition of a serious label please :idea:

----------------------------

For the record, I've discussed that topic many times in boards and blogs. Here's a post I did a while ago. Might be useful:

I see from times to times some people asking how they should proceed to send a demo to a label. I answered a few times and I think I should post something for everyone. Ok, so you made music and you think you should share it with the rest of world? You’re ready to go for a release? Let’s see how to proceed (well, at least, how most of the labels like people to do it).

* When you have done at least 3-4 tracks, you should do an important test: make other people listen to it. Maybe you want to go to a little bar or club and ask local DJs to play it. This will be a test drive to see if it sounds good in a club. A lot of people are not at ease with mastering, which is ok but a test on a bigger sound system will reveal a lot of the imperfection; also, you will get feedback from the DJ and/or the crowd. Quite important part.

* Your music has passed the test of feedback, now you think you should send it to a label. This is where it all starts. Do you have a few labels in mind? Do you have and collect records or know your artists by heart? This is quite important because you want to send your music to the right place. Many times labels get music that has no link to the music direction they have in mind and guess what, if you’re not on it, you’re wasting your time and theirs. So here, you might want to read about the label, its discography, its artists and make the right choice. If you’re not sure, go to your local record shop and ask for someone to listen to it to fill you with suggestions.

* After selecting a list of labels, get the contact of its A&R. Important here: get in contact with the label first. This ice breaking operation make things easier. You can introduce yourself, link the label to your web page/Myspace (good idea to get one if you dont) and ask what’s the label’s plan for the upcoming year. Maybe the label is booked ahead or not looking for artists, but then, when you create a relationship, you can start to work on something.

o Do not send a mp3 attached to an email. Very annoying and it’s not practical.

o Do not send a one liner email with a link. Impersonal and rude. I almost always ignore those emails as they reveal a lack of personality.

o Do not send a mass email to 1000 different labels. Again, this is impersonal, it makes the label feel you’re a junk food artist who is desperate to get signed.

o Don’t harrass the label’s A&R with long emails and repetitive or intense demands to be on the label.

o Be polite, use a readable email to get in touch. English is usually the main international language and if you barely speak it, ask someone to communicate for you. It will make you get a better first impression.

o Don’t send a CD to the label before getting in touch first. It might just end up in a pile. You can email them back to see if they got it.

o Don’t call (on the phone) a label out of the blue. Always better to get in touch by email first.

* Once you got the Ok to send a demo, there’s 2 choices:
o Some labels insist you send a CD, then no need for a fancy presentation. Just use a clean cover and make sure to put all information in the package.

o Send mp3’s only if the label is ok with it. Use 320 kbps format to encode.

* Last but not least, don’t ever send unfinished music. This is actually something I often see and don’t understand. Would you serve your guest a uncooked meal? You want your music to shine and if you send something undone, most of the labels will believe you’re either insecure or clumsy (considering an unfinished track will not sound that good).

You should be set to get some action. Good luck to all!

Seriously, this has to become a sticky! Thanks for the gold Pheek. 8)
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

I have noticed the only time I even get a reply is if I talk to someone that is affiliated with the label before hand. Big labels are constantly getting submissions and they don't have time to listen to all of them. Most of them also have a full roster and aren't really looking for new artists either.

If you want oin a big labl you have to find a way to open conversation with someone that can get your track to the right ears. If you just want your tracks on beatport then shop at some of the smaller labels that don't manage tons of artists. Like my label for example. I get a few submissions a week so I have plenty of time to go through them all. If something is going by a general consensus of my friends and label partner then Ill release it. Not only that but if it's not good small labels have the time to tell you how to improve so you can come back with something better.