using factory sequence patches

- ask away
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

or with the delay and reverb record the loop, then chop it up, reverse parts, put parts in different places... :) make another loop then use that.

Madness.
fromkaraoketostardom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fromkaraoketostardom »

i spend some afternoons just making my own presets (especially on reaktor), you learn a lot about synthesis, fxs, don't have to fit in a track right now, so you have much more freedom...and usually i end up finding some inspiring sound and gives birth to a new track.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

thats the same reason im heavily into MSP now..
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

max and reaktor confuse the living sh!t out of me. in a pretty enjoyable kinda way though.
clinc
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by clinc »

How creative do you feel when you have used one of these loops/sounds/samples?

I say... If you are content with the sounds you are making/using, and they truly emphasize your feeling regarding their use in the arrangement, then by all means, use what you feel.

If not, what's the rush? why not spend the extra time working on a specific sound/loop. who cares how long it takes you. Just make sure you are happy with the sounds you are creating. I sincerely believe that you will be happier with your own work more than that of a sample library.
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

I often start with a preset, but I never just leave it at that. One of the first steps of tweaking the sound is GRAIN DELAY!! He's my best friend!
markenstien
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by markenstien »

I don't mind using presets for some sounds but they always get tweaked and altered to suit my needs for whatever track it is i'm making.

One thing i've often thought about though is you dont see a guitarist building a new guitar from scratch for every song he makes, or the same for a drummer or bass player. They buy the instrument and use it as it is, maybe an effect pedal here and there.

As for pre made sequences i'm not so comfortable with using them, maybe alter the pattern a little and play with the sound to make it different, but just taking it straight as it is seems a little lazy :P
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

Hi, I'm new here, so just a quick hello first.

yeah the use of presets is funny, i think there was a gui boratto track on k2 a few years ago that had a reaktor 4 preset, it was unmistakable, but the track was pretty good.

i guess the way i see it is that some people are better at arrangement than synthesising original sounds, whilst others are the exact opposite. if either of them are too far to the extreme, obviously the track won't work.

put short....

i would much rather listen to a track that was made only with presets but made me dance and had some creativity in the form and style, than say a track by a "purist" who had synthesised all their sounds but was standard form aside from that.

for the record, i would try not to include presets in my own music, because as someone mentioned, it would be embarrassing if someone said "oh that's an absynth preset"