- open
JCH
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JCH »

pantycontrol wrote:
JCH wrote:
On Sneak:

He still play the same music he did 10 years ago.
i have some old sneak stuff on classic and yoshitoshi and it's dated to be sure but check out "electric water" on magnetic. hardly sounds like old sneak or even house for that matter.
Dj-ing?
dncn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dncn »

JCH wrote:
minimal house wrote:^^nothing wrong with that!

Id rather vibe out to those 90s tracks than this recycled mnml techno stuff of today, but thats just me.

Why are you on Mnml.nl then?
maybe its ok to be in to more than one type of music?

wild suggestion i know, just throwin it out there ;)
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Celltek wrote:I think we have all stirred away from the original rant which talks of crap music taking over the house scene, big time! I agree and can really sympathise with Sneak, I mean, can you imagine if a 101 artists like Booka Shade take over the mnml scene and people start calling it minimal techno. However, is disgree with his method because if crap is taking over then Sneak and his "real" house music friends should be setting the trends by creating really good music.
Agree w anonym on this one, it's exactly what's happened with minimal styled music.

Look at all this new gear coming out from Oliver Huntmann, Stephan Bodzin and to be honest - even most of the new Perlon, Traum and whatnot gear, a large portion of the netlabel output and a lot of the 'minimal' labels operating.

Most of them don't have the mistique, the raw unpolished 'smudged' feel or the stark uncluttered riddem of what I'd call a minimal style. It's a beefed up 'super' /pop/minimal sound, people are aspiring to make the biggest records they can and impress a large scale audience.

Minimal has come to be a byword for clicky poppy percussion, elastic band sounding polyrythym, disjointed vocals, synwave melodies and big washes of reverb.

Most of it is highly polished, very contrived, ultra programmed and far from actually being minimal (w hundreds of scattered SFX, sounds and whatnot).

I'm not dissing it, but if you then look at the situation, it's not even used as an adjective any more, it's a full on scene of it's own.

I've even see a lot of what I'd call minimal techno dissed by noobs cos it's not sounding like a M_nus record or whatnot.

A lot of these Cats ain't ever heard of Studio 1, Mike Inc, Brinkmann, Steve Stoll, Mike Dearbourne, Steve Bicknell, Rob Hood, Damon Wild, Joey Beltram, Christian Vogel, Russ Gabriel, Moritz von oswald, Echoplex, Deepchord, DJ ESP, Emanuel Top etc.

I've played parties where I've dropped old peacefrog, Accellarate or Comunique records and the kids have not known what to make of it, it's got the same funky, clicky feel, but it's stripped down minus all of the sound effects and pop elements, some people notice the connection, but most will never.

So a lot of the older folk probably have every right to say waidaminiit !!

But it doesn't have to be such a big deal, is it really that important ? I mean, to some of the Detroit heads, like someone has already said - their legacy is all they have, but have they not learned by now that putting their whole life into underground msuic is a 'passion without reason' eg: there ain't necc going to be a payback, that's not always why it's necc to do something, and if they don't get that, they maybe missing the point !

It's happened over and over and over, look at Trance, Trance used to sit quite happily alongside techno, there were subsets, hypnotic Techno, Trancey Techno, Hardbeat Techno, Acid Techno, and it all went together nicely. Due to the fact that some people got too carried away with it's popularity - it became a standalone genre and soon became the object of ridicule of every other scene.

That's the way it goes.

It will happen with minimal, then all the techno and house heads can get back to enojying their underground music while all the scenesters F@ck off and dissapear up their own arse - so personally - I welcome it :)
pantycontrol
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pantycontrol »

JCH wrote:
pantycontrol wrote:
JCH wrote:
On Sneak:

He still play the same music he did 10 years ago.
i have some old sneak stuff on classic and yoshitoshi and it's dated to be sure but check out "electric water" on magnetic. hardly sounds like old sneak or even house for that matter.
Dj-ing?
you know your right...i haven't heard his dj sets for a while now and i'm almost scared to at this point. that magnetic track is probably pretty old too but it still kicks.
"that sounds like a dog fart a hand clap"
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Played some (real) records last night, and had 'on a sneak tip' included... Great stuff, but surely it's from back then, where Sneak released super cool music 8)
harold_f
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harold_f »

gossip hour on mnml.nl

:lol:
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

harold_f wrote:gossip hour on mnml.nl

:lol:
haha.. I wish I could buy you a beer for that....

worth a repeat giggle...

lol...
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

This is a really good thread,

yeah a lot of people do get really precious about their place in music history and Manchester is a good example of that, and probably the same artists are feeling a little bit threatened, like they didn't have enough time at the top. but you can probably only be as good as your last records. I mean i still really like listening to lots of Detroit records, but i don't exactly think they are timeless. Some of the most crushingly boring sets i have ever seen have been by Detroit artists that i like otherwise.

about sneak saying the people who go to see him playing not really being into the party atmosphere, and there not being any love etc............
its not that the kids aren't into music and only into fashion etc, its just the ones who have love for tracks etc are probably at music nights playing music that hasn't reached its creative zenith 20 years ago. I have been to so many over the years where some people were really into it and really supportive etc, but invariably it wasn't Detroit because maybe its just not been exciting enough for too many years.

if only they had the humility of these particular gentlemen.

http://www.pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF055-Di ... eteors.jpg