when is a critique (OK).

- open
chrisdisco
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by chrisdisco »

john clees wrote: are we still on ..hey... it's human error.. I think by know we all know the idea of not beat matching 100% is going to happen...

critiques KILL creative energy..

it effects the energy of such wonderful expressions..

that is all I'm going to say..
my point is that critique also helps generate creative and more productive energy.

also, i think it depends a bit on what exactly we are talking about. it strikes me that you are more concerned about people commenting on people's live mixes, while i guess i am more thinking about production and the sound as a whole.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

production sure... it's very useful and helpful.. the finished work is completed and trying to be sold....

production vs. mixes -

completely different sides of the fence.. re: production critiques help you evolve and are completely needed from all sides. learning what to do with them is another art in and of itself.. lol..

Im always for growing and making the bar higher and higher... that is natural progression and development.

re: mixes.. I don't think it's right (at the point of contact).... where others are just getting the source of music to potentially plant a pre-determined thought because they didn't (get) the expression into the minds of fresh new listeners before they ever get a chance to hear it..
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

why should critique kill creative energy?

imo it does the opposite, it drives you to work even harder and do something better instead.

a world without critique would as chris says, totally unreflective and not progressing at all. and we don't want that for sure? or?
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

that is the #1 / greatest thing about the internet is sharing your own production work for critiques

my entire point was (only) about mixes... hence this starting in the mix section not production.

:)
antonio_pt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by antonio_pt »

john clees wrote:that is the #1 / greatest thing about the internet is sharing your own production work for critiques

my entire point was (only) about mixes...

:)
i think it's fair to distinguish two types of mixes here. those that are recorded in clubs, where all sorts of variables come into play, from the quality/age of the turntables, to the mixer, to the booth, to the soundsystem, to your own physical and mental well being, consumption of alcohol and/or drugs, and above all, the public/crowd/dancers/non-dancers.

and those mixes that are recorded at home, when you're under no external pressure to do something you know you do well. where you have the time to program your tunes, the buildups, the climaxes and the proper end-of-night/set tunes. where you have time to experiment and be totally free in your creativity.

from what i gather, that mara trax set fits under the first category, so as john says, it think it's unfair/negative plus a waste of time and energy to post a comment which mainly mentioned 'dodgy mixing', iirc. what's the point? we all know all sorts of variables influence your ability to make state of the art, 'cannon' transitions. from what i gather and am told, the full 8 hours were some of the best in that person's recent memory, clubbing and musically speaking. at the end of the night, what are you going to remember/what is important, the slightly dodgy mixing or the wonderful music?

ableton like, perfectly synched transitions seem to do less and less for me these days. i need to know there's a human on the other side.

emotions need to transpire.

anyway, i've already had this discussion on another topic some time ago and ended up getting dissed. so i'm trying not to go that road again.

it's just opinions tho. and as hutch rightfully said: they're like assholes.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

antonio_pt wrote: it's just opinions tho. and as hutch rightfully said: they're like assholes.
hence the word hole that leads to sh!t..

:) - lol
Last edited by John Clees on Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

also many approaches to mixing as well.. - some don't / some do counts of 8 / 12 / or 24 measures...

I fumbled like their is no tomorrow but like to mix/blend records for 3-8 mins at times or until the record ends.

so needless to say it may be dodgy but ideally within half a measure it's corrected....

just my own personal approach... its not (if) you mess up it's (how long) it takes to get back on track..

I play better when I'm out vs. @ home..

feed of the energy of folks..
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

thomasjaldemark wrote:why should critique kill creative energy?

imo it does the opposite, it drives you to work even harder and do something better instead.
I'm going to go a bit deep with this, but, ego takes care of that drive not critique. Critique alone either squashes your self esteem or boosts it, it depends on how healthy your image of self worth is. If you ask me, listening to critiques is like saying to someone, please tell me if my life is going in a good direction. To me it's like a reflection of your inner state, the more you criticize the more you are unhappy with your being.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.