Reason 4.....is Reason just a TOY?

- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Reason 4.....is Reason just a TOY?

Post by hydrogen »

youandewan wrote:I'm using Reason 4 & Cubase SX3 at the moment. I'm pretty maxing Reason for its capabilities. Im on windows but im told mac & logic etc are good for this stuff. should my bank balance lose a ball and go apple?
What do all the big boys use. For example the minus/richie hawtin/gaiser. What are they using because I'm finding it hard to emulate sounds as smooth and professional as thier stuff. Ive actually been told my production is good but to me its only half way there. My biggest problem is kick drums and perc. Do I need thousands of refils? I've tried all sorts to try get em sounding half decent...So any advice on how to make them sound like they should sound would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ewan.

have a listen anyway.
www.myspace.com/youandewan

if you want good drums... you can do the following

Turn of quantize and hand program them with your keyboard or drum pads.
Learn to Synthesize drum sounds. You may have better success with your kicks
Use consistent quality drum sounds. Mixing low and high quality sounds can be a dead giveaway... you'll be trying to use an eq to mix your low quality sounds with the high quality ones and they "generally" wont sound as good.
Be extremely careful with the sounds you choose. They all have to fit together.
Tune your drums.
Pan your drums
Layer your drums.
Use reverb and effects to build some space around your drums.
Spend time with your drums.
EQ you drums

I've learned that over the years this is definetely one of the hardest things to get right. People are hooked on a tune sometimes just on the rhythm and bass so it can be the most important element to a tune. Which is probably why your feeling you don't have some sort of secret VST or killer app that will give you killer drums.

It can help to learn another app just because it may give you a sense of freedom or even a sense of limitation because you won't know the app. But its really not that much different between the apps. I've heard amazing tracks come out the most popular daws, reason, fruityloops, and even trackers.

So Making loops in ableton, reason, cubase, logic, fruity loops is no different. Again all it really takes is a couple ideas, some good samples or synthesis, some tuning and some rhythm.

If the rest of your tracks are coming out fine to you then. Make this your focus next time you write tunes... simply just make a couple drum tracks but really focus on the drums and a simple bassline. see what you come up with.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
re.vise
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by re.vise »

^ +100

I sometimes can get crazy over a hi-hat in a track.. Its just makes or breaks a track!
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

good hats or shakers are essential!! and good drum programming too.
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

try not to blame software for your shortcomings
signatures suck
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Reason 4.....is Reason just a TOY?

Post by tone-def »

youandewan wrote:I'm using Reason 4 & Cubase SX3 at the moment. I'm pretty maxing Reason for its capabilities.
I don't think your maxing reason. It's very capable for making good minimal. Just try and avoid the factory sound bank.
alexx.wolfe
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by alexx.wolfe »

I only Reason :shock:

and this toy give me the chance yet to release 3 vinyl in different genres and labels. and it will give me more : )

The best software is the one that you feel more confortable to use. IMO of course!
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

re.vise wrote:The mnus crew are using Ableton Live 7.01 on a Mac. I also use it and people often compare me to Gaiser (although I dont share their opinion, I dont see the comparison).. Thank god I'm not wannabe.
www.myspace.com/fwrevise.
Nice music man, but it does sound like gaiser and the rest of his followers.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
someonelikeyou
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by someonelikeyou »

Sounds nice!!! Like Hydro said try creating your own drum patches/sounds etc. There are some good free-ware VST drum synths out there. I use Logic on a Mac and love it. Ultrabeat is possibly the most versatile drum synth anywhere. Although a lot of people slag it off I find Microtonic a lot of fun. Besides that your on the right track mate!!! Someonelikeyou

p.s. My only "Released" friend uses Reason alone!!!!