on the coexistance of analogue and digital electroni systems

- ask away
Alphajuno
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Alphajuno »

There wont ever be a true replication of analog hardware simply because there are too many variables involved with analog equipment.

Two models of the same analog synth are can sound completley different, even the same synth on different days. Due to heat, ageing components moisture in the air. Its the unpredictablity that gives analog its sound.

I am entirley digital however, and digital also sounds great just different.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:
re.vise wrote:
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:Im like you, 100% digital, and i believe that anything is possible with digital too...
Can you make a sinus digital?
Well, i suppose not....

All im trying to say is, with the amount of computer power coming through, there will be a time where anologue is surpassed....

Like steevio says though, the programmers need to develop new technologys, not try to emulate old synths so much (altough the emulations are my favoutrites tbh)

I found these

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?&ke ... temid=1077

Ill buy them at the end of the week and tell you what i know...
this is a good example of what i was trying to say before about cost, this bundle of 4 pedals costs £325 plus VAT, you can buy two real moogerfooger pedals for that ! if you add up the price of a controller if you wanted to use them in real time, they might cost more than the real thing, and they wouldnt feel anywhere near as nice to use.
you've got to remember these are not entire synthesizers, the MF101 is just a simple monophonic lowpass filter, and things like phasers etc. have limited use.
they may sound as close to the real thing as you'd get, but is it worth it ?
i think the price of some software is outrageous. the argument over developement costs etc is pretty lame, you've only got to do it once, then its pure profit, whereas with hardware, you still have to design it, but then you have to manufacture every one.
the numbers dont add up to me.