Knowing your music!?

- open
Dragonsand
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Dragonsand »

I prefer a collection of 100 records I particulary love, which are a mirror of my personnality, to a collection of 1000 records that I don't really know.

2 years ago I used to buy a bit too much records when I had money. "the short 30 sec samples sounds okay, yeah I'll buy it, why not." and a month later you don't even know why this release is in YOUR collection.

So I sold 75% of my collection, and now I take time to really feel the new tracks.

So now I've got records I admire only, and I've got more money. It's better like this ;)

Take time to search the artists who make really the music that your soul profoundly needs. I think that it's the best way to get more varied DJ sets, with more personnality, and a strong coherence.
aut.t.n
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by aut.t.n »

Dragonsand wrote:I prefer a collection of 100 records I particulary love, which are a mirror of my personnality, to a collection of 1000 records that I don't really know.

2 years ago I used to buy a bit too much records when I had money. "the short 30 sec samples sounds okay, yeah I'll buy it, why not." and a month later you don't even know why this release is in YOUR collection.

So I sold 75% of my collection, and now I take time to really feel the new tracks.

So now I've got records I admire only, and I've got more money. It's better like this ;)

Take time to search the artists who make really the music that your soul profoundly needs. I think that it's the best way to get more varied DJ sets, with more personnality, and a strong coherence.
word. same experience here.
laurens
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by laurens »

this is the reason why i switched from cd's to vinyl after my first year of dj'ing, my collection was too big to find a good line in my records, i would just play the records i heard in the club the other night or the latest ones that came into my mind while the records that are the most interesting to play on the long term were forgotten because they were not so easy to remember or more subtile/less accesable.
i dont have endless funds for vinyl so i have to choose my records more wisely. this gives me a smaller collection but i do believe that pushes my creativity and because u use the same records more and more ull get to know them better wich is ofcourse an advantage for ur mixing technique and track selection.
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JackNine »

Dragonsand wrote:I prefer a collection of 100 records I particulary love, which are a mirror of my personnality, to a collection of 1000 records that I don't really know.

I think we've all been there, Dragon. Well said.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

worry about names and such later..

ryan elliott used an excell spreadsheet to do a mix...lol..

your not alone regardless - just keep an open ear for good music..

even richie hawtin uses key words to associate the tracks he plays and how he finds them on his computer for a set..
08englanders
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 08englanders »

thx guys. great responses
Narcisse2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Narcisse2 »

REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT x 1000
michielwijnen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by michielwijnen »

for me there are some tracks who ain't got that typical nice 4, 16, 32, 64 beat structure. these are tracks that I have to listen to, experiment with, ... to do a good mix with it...

As for the rest of the tracks, like someone said link artwork with the type of track...
if you're playing some type of track you just have to pull these records out and listen true your headphone if it could match...
I gues it also has to do a lot with feeling I think