DJ ing with laptops

- ask away
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

Der geile Ami wrote:
Ronny Pries wrote:Discussing on this level is just frustrating. Having to go back to the same stuff over and over again without moving anywhere.

/me bangs head on table.

If it doesn't really matter what is being said here - why participate at all?
so you can gloat when the said vinyl posers switch to digital in a couple years
hehe
ferd
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ferd »

Ronny Pries wrote:
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:The point is; there is two separate skills to Djing; record manipulation, and song choice....

Most people could put a fairly good set together if they listen to pro mixes regularly, its isnt rocket science tbh....

Its just a shame ppl dont see djing as a technical skill anymore, just an intellectual one...

:roll:
How much of a technical challenge is spinning to anyone who has done it for decades? I need around 5 seconds to get the darn pitch right, i don't have to think about it at all, it just happens. So what does the crowd on the floor actually "gathers" by knowing i have my hands on an actual record? Will it influence anything? No.

And since the overall amount of crap DJs in clubs neither got worse nor improved over the years, even after the invention of Traktor etc, what's the fuzz about all this? It's not like "anyone" would get booked to play for a crowd.
I agree, beatsyncing with vinyl is not that much of a "skill" at all...most people learn to do it quite fast. Took me about 6 months and i played live without any mistakes...

But playing with a laptop f.i. does influence the dj, atleast it influences me...you are way more concerned with details and everything has to be perfectly balanced all the time. It takes away the spontanity aswell...
Both of these findings can be considered positive and negative at the same time.
Bionic_Eye
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Bionic_Eye »

a little bit offtopic but
can i also spin my old records (vinyl) with serato, traktor and torq
and then put the timecoded vinyl back on
or do i need a third technics
thanks in advance
Prozakace
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Prozakace »

I dont know for Serato but with traktor scratch or final scratch you can play your normal vinyl ;)
You can use the thru connection or use the switch button "timecode-normal viny"l in traktor
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

Bionic_Eye wrote:a little bit offtopic but
can i also spin my old records (vinyl) with serato, traktor and torq
and then put the timecoded vinyl back on
or do i need a third technics
thanks in advance
Nah, theres the through option on serato too so you can spin both timecode and normal vinyl.

Oh and btw, did you guys know that seratos box functions as a standalone soundcard too? i just found it out last week and now im using ableton with it :D
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

ferd wrote: I agree, beatsyncing with vinyl is not that much of a "skill" at all...most people learn to do it quite fast. Took me about 6 months and i played live without any mistakes...
Well, if beatmatching records isn't a skill, why then is there nowhere anyone else playing like Jeff Milligan? If it's so damn fucking easy, why do you have to look so extreme hard to find anyone playing at least three decks? Why? Tell me, I'm curious!

Btw, the question of vinyl vs. laptop is also a question of authenticity. There may be a change in what is considered authentic in today's club culture, but vinyl still does have a different impression today, and so it does make a difference when you play in a club. This question is beyond what you actually hear, which is what almost no-one in this discussion is looking at unfortunately.

On the question of authenticity of vinyl records, try out Sarah Thornton's "Club Cultures" from 1996. It helps you understand how vinyl came into the position it had for the last decades, and is losing now.
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
fl0w
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fl0w »

New Guy wrote:Oh and btw, did you guys know that seratos box functions as a standalone soundcard too? i just found it out last week and now im using ableton with it :D
ASIO only, no WMA driver :-(

@Red Kite: I don't understand "authentic" and "beyond what you actually hear", could you explain?
:.: : :: : :.: .:. :.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

ok this is a weird one for me because in the past i was extremely against stuff like serato etc....
the fact is now that if you make your own music there is just not enough labels around that actually know how to sell records well enough to be able to afford putting out vinyl for every release. I have a huge backlog of tracks and there is no way of finding enough labels fast enough that i'm willing to give my music to and expect something out quick enough for my liking. That being said I LOVE VINYL and always will till the day i die. If i have a record out on vinyl i will always spin it off of that vinyl because it just sounds better. For the rest of it that is not on vinyl yet i would much rather use something like serato or the like than i would a cd deck because there are certain small tricks you can do with manipulating turntables that cd players (Even the good ones) can not cut it for. I'v moved to a setup with my partner that has one of us on 2 vinyl tables and one on a serato type setup. My tracks are not the type of tracks that you can break down into a bunch of parts and make much sense out of them on ableton by itself for a live setup so we figured out it was just allot more fun to treat the whole thing like a tag team dj setup for now until we find a way that allows us to take it further.