number of downloads/income from beatport

- ask away
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

::BLM:: wrote:Yep Patrick is right. I go through Intergroove so its a little bit different, but I know of other labels where Beatport takes less then 40%.

If I were you Victor I would sack off the other download sites and go exclusive to Beatport. 90% of our sales are from Beatport and if you go exclusive at least Beatport then show an interest in your label and put it in the featured label sections which obviously is going to promote your label. Maybe best to get your distro to contact them though.
We go through InterGroove also, except for Beatport and the main reason for that is of course that 90% or more of our digital sale is on Beatport, so we don't want an extra middleman (InterGroove) to take a cut from what we earn at Beatport.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

patrick bateman wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:Yep Patrick is right. I go through Intergroove so its a little bit different, but I know of other labels where Beatport takes less then 40%.

If I were you Victor I would sack off the other download sites and go exclusive to Beatport. 90% of our sales are from Beatport and if you go exclusive at least Beatport then show an interest in your label and put it in the featured label sections which obviously is going to promote your label. Maybe best to get your distro to contact them though.
We go through InterGroove also, except for Beatport and the main reason for that is of course that 90% or more of our digital sale is on Beatport, so we don't want an extra middleman (InterGroove) to take a cut from what we earn at Beatport.
I have tryed cutting Intergroove out, but Beatport never answer my emails and everything I do goes through intergroove. Its really odd though cause they have just offered us an exclusive deal with them, but still want us to go through intergroove.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

strange... normally if you sell about 300 downloads you are somewhere near the top 50 on Beatport. If you sell about 50 you're in the top 10 on Junodownload, so that should give you an idea of just how important Beatport is for a digital label ;)

My advice: don't go through a distributor but get a direct account if you can. We sold only 50% on Forteana what we sold on Coincidence, but because Forteana is directly on Beatport, we made more than double of what we get from Coincidence. Makes you think huh...

And if you do vinyl: go to a distributor but don't choose the big ones! We like the people a lot at our vinyl distri, but they are like a HUGE distributor and a downside of that is that their efforts go to the big labels they distribute of course... so you're left to you own devices sort of... So, choose a good distri but a bit smaller, who will perhaps be harder to sign to, but who will give you a lot more support in the long run.

And one more word of advice: there's no such thing as good advice :lol: It's all changing so rapidly that even people with years of experience in the business don't have the answers anymore.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

victorgonzales wrote:
Atheory wrote:not all distributors take 30percent. you can surely get a much better deal
Well the reason Ours takes so much is because they put our releases on about 130 different online stores. But Im seeing it as less important since 80-90 percent of sales come from beatport even with that many stores on.

Maybe when my label has made more money I will try and negotiate with beatport but it really was the only way to get on there. They are even turning down some big labels at the moment.
thats fair enough then. i guess if they put it in more places, that chunk of the pie is less significant. still, they have people over a barrel.
kwality
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kwality »

This is the most enlightening thread I've come across on mnml - thanks to everyone who's chimed in!

I'd love to know how much Beatport are charging for banners on the site. I've been lead to believe they get results but I can't for the life of me figure out how much they are.

And to all those who've said beatport is the main player, who are the next top hitters? And does it hurt to have it spread out all over the place? I've never been a huge fan of Beatport to be honest, but I'm willing to accept they're the big boys for digital downloads.

Also, what sort of numbers are people seeing if they release exclusive on Beatport for X amount of time, and then uploading to other stores - is it a second wind or a mere trickle?

Cheers again everyone!
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

kwality wrote:I'd love to know how much Beatport are charging for banners on the site. I've been lead to believe they get results but I can't for the life of me figure out how much they are.
They are free, but Beatport decides who's going to be on those banners.
As one has already written in this thread, they sit down ones a week in the 3-4-5 territories (US/UK/EU/ASIA or something like that) and choose a few releases each and then submits these for consideration for banners/featured and so on... so it's not easy to get on the banners (and you can't pay your way through to it either)...
It's of course a matter of good music, good feedback and so on (and if you're exclusive with Beatport and maybe it's also a digital only release, then your chances are better)...
Alphajuno
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Alphajuno »

I cant help but worry at the current state of the industry when such a large proportion of sales is happening at one outlet.

Or am i just being paranoid?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i would worry. it just makes it hard for any new labels to come though.