Basslines

- ask away
re.vise
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by re.vise »

I just use the the MC from a 808.. Pitch it down, get some attack on it. Works fine (http://www.myspace.com/fwrevise)
supergroover
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by supergroover »

to make a nice bassline you usually also use lots of eq and compression. There should be some tutorials online. Anybody have any links to those?
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

dubgil wrote:If you need a bassline, shouldn't a tb303 (or clone) work perfect for that?
I recently heard a track that used a 303 with the cutoff and reso turned all the way down, no squelchy nothing going on. It was funky and all and I didn't realize it was a 303 until they made it sound "303-ey" if you know what I mean.
I used the love the 303 way of expressive programming but I find the sound extremely cliche these days, if you like that kind of programming though and the slides etc, def check out Audiorealism Bassline Pro, you can get some amazing sequences and sounds out of that, does everything but can sound nothing like a 303 whilst retaining it's programming functionality. One of my favourite bits of software.
Jackson Live
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Jackson Live »

Cheers for all your help guys!
I will spend a good few weeks trying some of these programs.
dynastic
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dynastic »

I like layering my basslines. I usually use a Sine to make a very deep and low sub, than i layer something cool over it to give it some texture. For the sub I use the z3ta+ most of the times.
stanhope
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by stanhope »

Layering basses is useful for a massive sound, such as in Drum and bass or commercial house. For standard "minimal" 4|4, i believe it is better to have a clean and simple "one dimension" bass. Use one or multiple sine or triangle, then lopass and some resonance, finish off with eq and compression. No effects on the bass for me as it can overpower the mix and even make the needle skip when you cut it to vinyl.
dynastic
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dynastic »

That's so boring man.. Layering doesn't mean it has to be really 'hard' all the time. Just mess around with it :). I''m really getting bored with all the standard sine basses..
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

stanhope wrote:Layering basses is useful for a massive sound, such as in Drum and bass or commercial house. For standard "minimal" 4|4, i believe it is better to have a clean and simple "one dimension" bass. Use one or multiple sine or triangle, then lopass and some resonance, finish off with eq and compression. No effects on the bass for me as it can overpower the mix and even make the needle skip when you cut it to vinyl.
What's the point in applying EQ and a LP filter with resonance on a sine?