DJ ing with laptops

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

dont get me wrong bruv, i love djing myself, its is a different experience.
it'll never go away.
i suppose i'm into artists whose own music is like an ecelctic DJ set,
thats the perfect gig for me.
but no point in generalising about theses things, theres nothing more refreshing than thinking you know what you want, then being supprised.
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

I find this argument somewhat amusing

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

I find this argument and subtle disrespect over live acts vs. the Dj in the realm of techno somewhat amusing. In the 1930's when the first double turntable was invented and dance halls began hiring DJ's to play there was backlash from an association of bands (somewhat akin to the RIAA today) that launched a campaign to fight the proliferation of DJs in dance halls.

The people's perspective was that they would prefer to hear the best works of a hundred bands over the course of a night rather then just the same band playing everything they had ever done all night long. This of course enraged the bands because it cut into their bottom lines but never the less in the end the desire to hear the best of everyone prevailed over the subset of the individual bands themselves.

Same old, same old...
fl0w
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fl0w »

oblioblioblio wrote:oh yeah, I forgot there was another word in the title, heheh. great film!
BTW "tzameti" also means 13 in Georgian ;)
I've just read on imdb Gela Babluani is working on another movie simply called "13" ;)
:.: : :: : :.: .:. :.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: I find this argument somewhat amusing

Post by steevio »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:I find this argument and subtle disrespect over live acts vs. the Dj in the realm of techno somewhat amusing. In the 1930's when the first double turntable was invented and dance halls began hiring DJ's to play there was backlash from an association of bands (somewhat akin to the RIAA today) that launched a campaign to fight the proliferation of DJs in dance halls.

The people's perspective was that they would prefer to hear the best works of a hundred bands over the course of a night rather then just the same band playing everything they had ever done all night long. This of course enraged the bands because it cut into their bottom lines but never the less in the end the desire to hear the best of everyone prevailed over the subset of the individual bands themselves.

Same old, same old...
no disrespect subtle or otherwise as far as i'm concerned, i was merely stating my preference, a leaning towards live acts. i'm a DJ myself, and most of my mates are DJs as well as producers, but i generally prefer it when they play live.
a quality DJ is still quality whatever the technological trends, and i still book approximately 50% DJs at events, i'm merely making an observation that there is a trend towards more musicians following the production path, and this is being facilitated by the technology, and i'm all for it.
this is page number 23, a good time for this thread to die.
:)
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Long live this thread......

:!:
Ruso
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: I find this argument somewhat amusing

Post by Ruso »

steevio wrote:
Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:I find this argument and subtle disrespect over live acts vs. the Dj in the realm of techno somewhat amusing. In the 1930's when the first double turntable was invented and dance halls began hiring DJ's to play there was backlash from an association of bands (somewhat akin to the RIAA today) that launched a campaign to fight the proliferation of DJs in dance halls.

Same old, same old...
no disrespect subtle or otherwise as far as i'm concerned, i was merely stating my preference, a leaning towards live acts. i'm a DJ myself, and most of my mates are DJs as well as producers, but i generally prefer it when they play live.
a quality DJ is still quality whatever the technological trends, and i still book approximately 50% DJs at events, i'm merely making an observation that there is a trend towards more musicians following the production path, and this is being facilitated by the technology, and i'm all for it.
this is page number 23, a good time for this thread to die.
:)
I'd much rather listen and watch a live performance artist then a dj any time. ESPECIALLY any lap top dj.