- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Angel_Colinz wrote:
steevio wrote:im currently incorporating this into my live set up;

Racpac

and whats it like? would you further recommend Soundcraft Mixers?
unfortunately this particular mixer has been out of production for many years, and ive had it since i think around 1999, its still working fine, no scratchy faders.

i use a
soundcraft ghost

in my studio, and i have no complaints, it has one scratchy pot after 3 years hard labour.

i have a pioneer DJM600 in my DJ set up and again the component quality is bad, VCA faders are great, but the pots are rubbish, half of them are scratchy, and you have no choice but to send it back to Pioneer to be fixed at great expense, no DIY fixes.

to be honest the DJ mixer market is saturated with mass produced inferior product.
my mate swears by Ecler mixers,
he's had one for years with no problems

these are built like tanks !!

the sound quality of the A&H is indeed very nice, compared to the DJM600,
but i dont know what the DJM700 's are like.
but for me, a mixer can sound as nice you like, but if it falls to bits after 6 months its a waste of money.
i think i'm going to go Ecler for my next mixer.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

steevio wrote:im currently incorporating this into my live set up;

http://www.soundcraft.com/product_sheet ... duct_id=91

i'd just like to ask you allen&heath guys, are your mixers reliable ?

have you had them for very long ?

i'm asking because recently i was organising an electronic music festival and we had 5 x A&H mixers, some hired, some borrowed, and had problems with 3 of them. they were all in fairly new condition. i also have two mates with A&H mixers who swear they'd never buy another one after they gradually deteriorated over a year or two.

i used to be a massive fan of A&H mixers, and now i wouldnt touch one.
they used to be built by hand in the UK and were solid, but since their recent popularity they've been mass produced and the build quality is very poor.

anyone got any stories ?
A&H is one of hte good companies. I would put faith in their products. The xone mixers ive specced for installs have had problems, but only after spilled drinks. The are thankfully modular designed, so replacing stuff is generally something i can do myself. The mixwiz is a veritable swiss army knife for small live audio applications.

In general, i's advise to invest in something that you dont actually have to travel with. get comfortable with something that promoters can rent locally when you leave town. Mixers are basically commodities, and it would be silly to use up weight requirements and whatnot if you dont have to. Any promoter that cannot locate a suitable mixer is not worth playing for unless you like gambling with your gear. Local gigs are of course potentially different.

I think a dj mixer is perfect to use if you are working with stereo sources. This could mean using laptops, but even stewart walker used a dj mixer when traveling with an mpc and additional sampler. While its nice to have immediate control over every potential sound, moving faders quickly is difficult when chasing 8 or more channels. Mixers for bands include fader groups to help controlling specific sections of instruments, but electronic music live performances do not work quite the same due to looser structure as to what a track needs and whether instruments morph in their dominance. A snare could be a lead in a techno track...
freeeeeee
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

a mackie CR1604 VLZ3 in a a rugged flight case -> a tank, unbreakable
it has 16 channels and I need 15 when giggin
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Der geile Ami wrote:
A&H is one of hte good companies. I would put faith in their products. The xone mixers ive specced for installs have had problems, but only after spilled drinks. The are thankfully modular designed, so replacing stuff is generally something i can do myself. The mixwiz is a veritable swiss army knife for small live audio applications.

In general, i's advise to invest in something that you dont actually have to travel with. get comfortable with something that promoters can rent locally when you leave town. Mixers are basically commodities, and it would be silly to use up weight requirements and whatnot if you dont have to. Any promoter that cannot locate a suitable mixer is not worth playing for unless you like gambling with your gear. Local gigs are of course potentially different.

I think a dj mixer is perfect to use if you are working with stereo sources. This could mean using laptops, but even stewart walker used a dj mixer when traveling with an mpc and additional sampler. While its nice to have immediate control over every potential sound, moving faders quickly is difficult when chasing 8 or more channels. Mixers for bands include fader groups to help controlling specific sections of instruments, but electronic music live performances do not work quite the same due to looser structure as to what a track needs and whether instruments morph in their dominance. A snare could be a lead in a techno track...
i think its good advice (stereo source - dj mixer) i work with mono sources live so it doesnt apply to me, so the issue of mixers is a very personal one, a dj mixer is way too limited for my live set-up.
also its true that its advisable to have a industry standard mixer ( A&H or Pioneer ) when travelling abroad so you dont have to take your mixer with you. personally i am now planning to do mini tours by car because i have too much gear anyway, and i prefer not to fly. putting any gear in the hold of a plane is out of the question for me now.
at freerotation this year one of the artists equipment was lost at the airport
it turned up 48 hours later just in time for him to do his set. (can you imagine that?)

on the A&H issue, we all know why they became popular, due to endorsement from a certain individual, and they used to be bullet proof and superbly built with quality components.
not anymore.
they have gradually started to take over from the pioneers in clubs, especially in Germany, but how long will this last if their reputation suffers.
it was a big talking point at freerotation this year, i spent the whole weekend running around with mixers under my arm, replacing faulty ones, we even had to send someone on a 250 km round trip to get a replacement as we were starting to run out of mixers, even though we had 3 back-ups (all pioneers, which all worked perfectly)
there were several discussions amongst artists about this issue, and the general feeling was that A&H need to sort this out as people are losing faith.
the faults were not beer spillage related, we had 8 different faults on 3 mixers, two had one of the stereo output channels running quiet.
i swear by the end of the festival i never wanted to see another A&H mixer ever again.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

steevio wrote:
Der geile Ami wrote:

i think its good advice (stereo source - dj mixer) i work with mono sources live so it doesnt apply to me, so the issue of mixers is a very personal one, a dj mixer is way too limited for my live set-up.
also its true that its advisable to have a industry standard mixer ( A&H or Pioneer ) when travelling abroad so you dont have to take your mixer with you. personally i am now planning to do mini tours by car because i have too much gear anyway, and i prefer not to fly. putting any gear in the hold of a plane is out of the question for me now.
at freerotation this year one of the artists equipment was lost at the airport
it turned up 48 hours later just in time for him to do his set. (can you imagine that?)

on the A&H issue, we all know why they became popular, due to endorsement from a certain individual, and they used to be bullet proof and superbly built with quality components.
not anymore.
they have gradually started to take over from the pioneers in clubs, especially in Germany, but how long will this last if their reputation suffers.
it was a big talking point at freerotation this year, i spent the whole weekend running around with mixers under my arm, replacing faulty ones, we even had to send someone on a 250 km round trip to get a replacement as we were starting to run out of mixers, even though we had 3 back-ups (all pioneers, which all worked perfectly)
there were several discussions amongst artists about this issue, and the general feeling was that A&H need to sort this out as people are losing faith.
the faults were not beer spillage related, we had 8 different faults on 3 mixers, two had one of the stereo output channels running quiet.
i swear by the end of the festival i never wanted to see another A&H mixer ever again.
Interesting read. I really like to play on the 62 and 92, and on the Pioneer DJM800 (which I have at home) and I have always thought of A&H as very good quality/build, so interesting to read this text.
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

i use a mackie 1202 when i need more than 3 stereo outs. it is really nothing spectacular but it is small, simple, has decent routing possibilities, and does the job...
Storlon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Storlon »

4am wrote:i use a mackie 1202 when i need more than 3 stereo outs. it is really nothing spectacular but it is small, simple, has decent routing possibilities, and does the job...
yeap makie! Got an old 1602 model, been allround for years without any fuss. Plus the eqs are really great.

by the way, with the live electronic stuff going stronger, i vould love to see some kink of dj mixers with jack input intead of cinch.
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

Storlon wrote:
by the way, with the live electronic stuff going stronger, i vould love to see some kink of dj mixers with jack input intead of cinch.
amen!