my production set up, looking for other suggestions...

- ask away
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

sinistral wrote:
mrgreynoise wrote:
livecollective wrote:damn if i only had more gear i'd be better...
not sure if you're joking...

please drop this idea ppl, you really don't NEED much to produce/dj good music.. i've had crazy setups, but I've also worked for months with nothing except a laptop and headphones... gear is a luxury, a very fun and pleasant luxury, not a necessity... my 2 cents
great headphones help though ;)

actually greynoise i was being sarcastic, my setup is a pair of great headphones and maybe sometimes i'll use a midi controller for production. No need really though.

Now for live purposes thats a different story. I just love looking at these massively impressive studios (not talking about the OP but rather a lot of youtube videos) and then hearing the sh!t that comes out.

Why waste money, like you said all you need is a laptop with a couple hours of battery and some time.
NewSc2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NewSc2 »

Your setup looks pretty complete. I'm not really sure what you're asking -- are you trying to ask us how you should arrange your furniture, or if you need anything else?

Maybe you could look at something like a Korg Zero 8 or an MPC for more integration between your production and DJ setups. That's all I can think of.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

S wrote:
sinistral wrote:they could probably be raised an inch or two.
ive got a picture in my head of you sitting so low with your chin resting on the desk :lol:
seriously... if your 6' 2"... your gonna want to raise them up at least a foot. or maybe you are in ultra lounge mode when writing tracks. executive desk style. :) But i say Get something to prop them up. I got a couple of milk crates(the ones you aren't supposed to take :) )... it will be the first thing to make a difference for you. Ideally they would also be a couple feet back, a little wider... The specs probably vary from monitor to monitor, but my speaker manual s want to be about 6' wide and about 6' away in both direction from the listener for ideal positioning. Monitors are very much directional, so head position and placement is extremely important. Just do an experiment... without moving anything, move your head in a couple of different listening positions, you'll likely find that 1 foot in either direction and even direction of your skull will alter the sound pretty dramatically.

Anyways, after having my first set of monitors for a couple years and thinking It was all good, I went back and read my manual and things made a lot more sense...

It seems a lot of others are talking about accoustic treatment... you probably aren't going to have much luck with that, but you could place foam directly behind the monitors and on the back wall where the monitors are directed towards. You'll probably have strange reflections on the left and right sides of your setup, but i'm not sure what you can do about that given the nature of your room. maybe if you turned your studio 90 degrees to the left, so you were facing the back wall, but then you'd have large reflections coming from the back... which would probably be worse actually.

They sky is the limit in terms of how accurate you want to make your track mixing setup. Its just about how much money you want to spend. :) looks like your doing pretty good now.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
S
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S »

i made a bridge type of thing from an old hard wood headboard

about 8" high / 12" deep , and runs the full width of my desk - my midi keyboard slides under it nicely
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

S wrote:i made a bridge type of thing from an old hard wood headboard

about 8" high / 12" deep , and runs the full width of my desk - my midi keyboard slides under it nicely
nice... same here :)
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Harrison
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: my production set up, looking for other suggestions...

Post by Harrison »

sinistral wrote:my deejay booth has two amps, the main and a monitor amp, with cerwin vegas speakers 15" and 12" for monitors.
what wattage are your cerwin vegas' and are they good speakers?
ArhiteK
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ArhiteK »

A&H Xone 3D

or 4D

All your problems solved. :)