You artists are blessed

- open
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

I would start with Ableton Live... and I guess it could run on that netbook (if you just do basic stuff, but have a look at Ableton Live website for the minimum specs)...

Good luck.
humeka
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by humeka »

I think you don't need to know somebody who is making music to start making music yourself. personally I learned alone.

if you start using a software like ableton live, you will be able to learn many tips from the user's forum. you will also be able to ask any question to help you compose. anyway, if you buy this soft (and I definitely encourage you to do so, it's made by musicians for musicians), an extensive tutorial is included.

In fact, I even think it's better for you to start by your own because you will simply do what you think sounds good, you won't have any influence but yourself.

don't care about the fact market is overfilled with tons of producers, musicians, djs... just ask yourself why you want to make music. for yourself? I started that way. for people? I ended there. hopefully you will be able to share your music easily using netlabels or file storage like sonic squirrels / archive.org.

I would have just one advice: you have nothing to loose by making music. enjoy yourself!
A-Dreamer
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by A-Dreamer »

all good advice so far. i started learning by myself also (and until i'll stop trying to make music, i'll probably be still learning), but i've always had a problem in putting the ideas onto paper, so to speak. many times i'm just walking down a street and out of nowhere i start to get a groove in my head, or an idea for a hihat arrangement, or a synth line.. but rarely (actually nerver) do i accomplish to reproduce the idea to an extent that i'm happy with. any thoughts ?
mindful matters
soundcloud.com/son-der
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

A-Dreamer wrote:all good advice so far. i started learning by myself also (and until i'll stop trying to make music, i'll probably be still learning), but i've always had a problem in putting the ideas onto paper, so to speak. many times i'm just walking down a street and out of nowhere i start to get a groove in my head, or an idea for a hihat arrangement, or a synth line.. but rarely (actually nerver) do i accomplish to reproduce the idea to an extent that i'm happy with. any thoughts ?
Buy yourself a voive recorder and try to emulate the sounds so you have something to refer to.. Bjork does it too.
minidine
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minidine »

Beat Box :lol:
A-Dreamer
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by A-Dreamer »

i donno how a hihat arrangement would sound recorded on a voice recorder :)) anyway, thats not the problem. the actual process of making ideas reality poses some issues. lots of times i find myself standing in front of the pc with a clear idea but end up getting lost in some details, like modulating some snare or whatever
mindful matters
soundcloud.com/son-der
humeka
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by humeka »

so why not thinking an idea in terms of composition process and not sound?
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

try to find a used Korg Electribe EMX1 and start jamming :D

i think for a start from scratch, a groovebox is superior to software. It will give you frame to work in, instead of infinite possibilities to get lost in.
also you just plug in your headphones, power it on and start making music.
Of course this is all IMO.