copyright laws?

- ask away
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

victorgonzales wrote:
yacek wrote:
hydrogen wrote:this is also why tracks are on whitelabel for so long. do not know how white labels apply to digital distribution... oh... you would sell the mp3 through distribution centers but but not put any tags that connect it to you or the label on it.
is that what a white label is? (sorry for my ignorance here)... could someone explain what a white label is exactly because I never understood that concept.
A white label is a record with a white label. Ussualy a test press to send out as promos to big djs and see if the track is marketable. The vinyl is ussually lower quality and wears out alot faster.

If the white label does really well or gets big play from big djs then you know to press alot when you do a full release.
The bold part is not true in today's market as far as I know (well not for the pressing plants we have used at least).
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

patrick bateman wrote:
victorgonzales wrote:
yacek wrote:
hydrogen wrote:this is also why tracks are on whitelabel for so long. do not know how white labels apply to digital distribution... oh... you would sell the mp3 through distribution centers but but not put any tags that connect it to you or the label on it.
is that what a white label is? (sorry for my ignorance here)... could someone explain what a white label is exactly because I never understood that concept.
A white label is a record with a white label. Ussualy a test press to send out as promos to big djs and see if the track is marketable. The vinyl is ussually lower quality and wears out alot faster.

If the white label does really well or gets big play from big djs then you know to press alot when you do a full release.
The bold part is not true in today's market as far as I know (well not for the pressing plants we have used at least).
Yeah you're corret Patrick. He's getting confused with acetates and dubplates. Also reactions from DJ's have nothing to do with the amount of records pressed up, this has to do with shops pre sale through the distros. Plus TP's are first and formost to check the sound quality of the pressing, then if you want to send them to dj's that of course is up too u, but like i said before has nothing to do with how many units are pressed up.

You might be correct for something like drum n bass where things are still raw and people work like this, but in house and techno its defo not done like that.
Brian Ffar
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Brian Ffar »

I hope nobody takes offense to my comments here, but quite honestly, if you're asking these questions, then you are probably not up to speed on running a proper record label ethically.

I would suggest doing some homework somewhere off of an internet forum. Perhaps hire a lawyer to sort out these types of details.
JCH
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JCH »

The only real question, if you have no standards, is:

Do they have enough money to come after me...............
yacek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by yacek »

@ brian Ffar... I'm not a label, I'm just an artist...

by the way I contacted the original vocalist for my track and he sounds very positive in his reply to me... my hopes are high...