How important is a midi keyboard?

- ask away
Alex M
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Alex M »

Hmmm ok, so it seems that a keyboard would help me. Thing is ive been playing around with ableton and reason and i got a bit tired of mouse clicking all the time and creating a pattern clicking in boxes. With ableton, once i started using the computer keyboard to generate sounds I found some of them where actually sounding pretty good. That made me think that with a proper keyboard I could get some nice sounds.
So, any recommendations on a low to mid price range midi keyboard?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

miniMAL_420 wrote:Hmmm ok, so it seems that a keyboard would help me. Thing is ive been playing around with ableton and reason and i got a bit tired of mouse clicking all the time and creating a pattern clicking in boxes. With ableton, once i started using the computer keyboard to generate sounds I found some of them where actually sounding pretty good. That made me think that with a proper keyboard I could get some nice sounds.
So, any recommendations on a low to mid price range midi keyboard?
i recommend a keyboard thats 61+keys... that ways u can scale octaves easily. more fun for sounds.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

get a midi keyboard.

multiple uses.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

Get a keyboard. Id suggest at least a 49 key. Those small ones you miss alot of sounds due to having to transpose up and down octaves.

It is a pain in the ass testing grooves just by point and click midi. I ussualy build a beat of a sort and just jam out on the midi keyboard till I find something I like. Then play it live while recording the midi and then go back and snap it in time if it sounds off with the mouse. I really cant imagine making music without a midi keyboard..
NewSc2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NewSc2 »

Get a keyboard.

Even though I have an extensive background in piano, I usually do draw in most of my notes, and I'm pretty comfortable tuning knobs with a mouse.

But there are times when a keyboard is necessary, especially when testing out chords and sounds.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Some people can just make music with step sequencers and the like, I can't. I need a keyboard to input my basic idea, then I break it down into parts. Without going into the debate about being able to play 2-handed keys has any relevance to techno, for me, coming from actually being a keyboardist, I can't compose any other way.

But apart from me, I'd say it's a necessity - at least at some point. It's never an afterthought IMO. It's there on the fundamental checklist for making noises.
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

49 is enough ? or 61 + ?
Alex M
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Alex M »

Thanks for the comments guys. Seems I will get a keyboard in the end.
Any brands I should pay special attention to?
Any more tips regarding specific functions the keyboard should have?
Thanks.