Logic instruments/effects in Ableton.....

- ask away
NewSc2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NewSc2 »

Robot Criminal wrote: and I CAN make the difference (with my ears) between ableton and logic (and cubase). it IS there (somewhere)
Yeah, I hate to chime in, but I can hear the difference too. Maybe Ableton's faders need to be pushed down lower than I'm used to, or Logic's default plugins are better, or maybe even because Logic's GUI is more refined (and subconsciously makes me hear things differently), but it's there somewhere.

I'll use Live as a sketchpad, and definitely for live performances, but when it comes to serious mixing, I find myself going to Logic.

It's kinda funny... if Live/Logic are truly 100% the same, then why don't we see more "Logic's sound is so dry and brittle" threads around? These threads are almost always against Ableton.
Brankis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Brankis »

there was a post a long time ago on this board by Torque i think and he was talking about how the real-time sound in live gets progressively worse when you add more tracks/plugins

there was also a theory that it's only the real-time sound you hear thats affected/colored. when you start adding plugins and stuff the quality gets bottlenecked. after all it's meant for playing LIVE first and foremost so it has to make that possible even with 30 vsts loaded up. there has to be a compromise obviously

Therefore it may in fact be possible to do the same extensive processing in multiple applications (ableton, logic, reaper) and get a null result when you render the files. This would explain why people's renders are sounding different than what they actually hear in real time...

As far as the sound goes there is no doubt that ableton has a colored sound but this may be only a result of the real-time sound and not what actually happens when you hit render. i find the sound gets worse the more plugins i add and more CPU i use and this is not the case in Reaper or other apps...

so it may be possible to get a good sound (as some people do) just within live but you would have to be aware of the live "sound" and compensate for that with your mixing like what henke was saying. then you hit render and all the quality is there like any other app

this is why no one can prove it because its all about the real time sound and hearing the coloration. i think it is very noticeable that live gets much shittier sounding the more plugs you pile on and tracks you add. Opuswerk is probably right on the money by only using the built in stuff in Ableton actually.

my possible theory is that what is happening in live people keep trying to compensate for what they are hearing in real time by adding on tons of plugs and trying to get a good sound. then it finally sounds "OK" but they hit render and its way off. this would also explain why everyone claims internal resample has less "color" than render.

for me i like live in the production process but there is no doubt that rewire to something like Logic or Reaper gives a much clearer sound/less colored sound. and a sound that you can count on being the same after you hit render

this is why it is not wise to believe the null tests over your hearing
Last edited by Brankis on Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

i couldn't resist.

------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

I seriously think all this debating comes down to one simple thing. The plugins/effects in Logic sound better than in Live. This, I noticed immediatly when i made the switch.
Brankis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Brankis »

Raddler wrote:I seriously think all this debating comes down to one simple thing. The plugins/effects in Logic sound better than in Live. This, I noticed immediatly when i made the switch.
dude come on, are you reading the thread?

either way just trust your ears always
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

[quote][/quote]
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

[quote][/quote]
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

Fucking quotes, I can never figure it out! Fair enough Brankis, I didn't read all of the threads and problably should have before throwing my last reply in the air. All i'm saying is that as soon as i first tried Logic, I understood what all the hype was about. That's all. The sounds i'd been hearing in many of my favorite dance tracks I could recognize in Logic. I've been jumping back to Live lately simply because it helps me spark ideas, cause I have a difficult time with that in Logic. But, I inevitably miss the sounds in Logic and go back. Just me.