mash up artists

- open
boomstick
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

mash up artists

Post by boomstick »

what do you guys think of these mash up artists who semirandomly combine tracks? love em, hate em, indifferent? theyre pretty big in the US, and i want to see what other people think (examples would be Super Mash Bros, Girl Talk). i dont especially like them, but i want to get an understanding of what the minimal techno community thinks of these guys.
beam me up
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

gimmicky and it works better with more commercial music.

Richie Hawtin is good at it though. Closer to the edit is one of my favorite CD's.
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Kiani »

I don't like it...it tends to become 'too much' after a while. These guys don't let a track breathe most of the time, it's all about doing crazy things
boomstick
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boomstick »

hmm. i didnt know richie did that stuff. i really only know him as plastikman though. kiani- i agree
beam me up
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

tone-def wrote:gimmicky and it works better with more commercial music.

Richie Hawtin is good at it though. Closer to the edit is one of my favorite CD's.
i prefer closer to the edit than transitions, awesome CD, got to love the dubby groovyness of it!
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

hate it
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by infernal.techno »

Good music is good music no matter how it's made or shaped

Bad music will always be bad. Remixes and mash ups of popular music will never be good to me, and it surrounds me constantly.

Girl Talk is boring. Sold out shows that attract scalping bewilders me for such effortless "creations". I've seen people pay $100 a ticket to see him do something that all the local kids do for 2 beer tickets at any given bar.
- matt
boomstick
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boomstick »

good thoughts there infernal, pretty much the same opinion i have.

also, these guys are called mashup artists for a reason. they mash everything together, even if it doesnt fit. they are genre benders, but not in a positive way.
beam me up