Recession hitting clubs

- open
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

@karmapolice

im on your side with dice, technically he is really mediocre definitly not worth the hype or money.

also i agree on the overflow with mediocrity, everyone believes he is a special artist. They havent any mixing skills, and whats worse they dont have a good track selection. They all play the same sh!t
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i really hope the boring DJ's are reading this and taking note.

this thread is making me feel positive about the way i DJ.
Martian Telecom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Martian Telecom »

stop looking at the past and romanticizing the dug up dusty rare forgotten robert hood or plastikman tracks. that sh!t wasnt even on the radar back when it came out, it wasnt appreciated for its genius really until much later when minimal had all the attention.
How old are you?
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

no, on a number of things.

happy hardcore aside (too commerical, joke genre) the music of the late 80s-early 90s was probably as dark as anything i can think of.

acid house, hardcore, jungle and drum and bass, plus early 90s belgian rave, stuff like early warp records and dutch/german gabber are as hard, dark and repetative as music gets.
huge bpms, really repetative (think of how it was made with samplers with tiny memories, synths/studios with limited automation, drum machines with limited sequencers)

people listen to repetative music during recession and during boom times, end of story. it not sensible to link the two.

people maybe appreciate value for money more during a recession and spazzing £100plus on a night out might not be possible if your unemployed, so maybe big clubs might feel the pinch more than smaller events.

but theres lots of other facts that make clubbing a less good experience. bad bar staff, smoking bans, over priced drinks/door charge, crowds/djs who don't really know anything about music apart from what they read on resident advisor or blogs, sh!t security, chrome venues, italians, add to that a style of music that ran out of ideas 3-4 years ago and you can see people might go to nights with a less commerical music.

as for rob hood only being appreciated in the last few years? one of the weirdest things i've ever read.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

^^ agreed.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

italians haha, and i dont agree on the smoking bans .. thats a wonderfull thing to show some people how addicted they are
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

Martian Telecom wrote:
stevësto wrote: stop looking at the past and romanticizing the dug up dusty rare forgotten robert hood or plastikman tracks. that sh!t wasnt even on the radar back when it came out, it wasnt appreciated for its genius really until much later when minimal had all the attention.

How old are you?

Obviously not old enough to have a clue about what actually went down. But old enough to postulate about it with a sense of entitlement and knowledge that only person at his age can do.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

Themis wrote:italians haha, and i dont agree on the smoking bans .. thats a wonderfull thing to show some people how addicted they are
oh, don't get me wrong, its better overall that you can't smoke in the club, but often the dance floor is halffull and loads of people are outside not listening to the music, which is a shame.