Digital Mediocrity

- open
upekah
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by upekah »

jaco wrote:i switched to pans lately, i think is the future, you should all chek it out!
does it have a good sound? :-flower
plaster wrote:you can't be a leader if are a follower.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

ok now we should stop to take it personally.

so chill out
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

patrick bateman wrote:
Atheory wrote:buying single tracks is how children consume music.

if your a dj your meant to like music, and have a knowledge of more than the various "BOMBS!!!LOLZ!!!1" that come out every week.
So buying the 2 tracks I find good on a release with 3 tracks is bad in your book and makes me a bad DJ?
I don't think it makes you personally a bad dj, thats not for me to say, but i think it would make me question a persons relationship to the music.

A person brings out a 3 track ep and you like 2 instantly and you can't give them the benefit of the doubt on the 3rd track, that you might grow to like it or find something in it? Think of your favorite albums and how they play out.

"Oh, this track wouldn't work on the dancefloor, i won't buy it" etc. Its just weird to think that tracks have to fit into this criteria to be worth buying or not buying, or essentially, worth listening to or not worth listening to.

Its like djing off a Hits of Chicago House record, instead of trying to check to see what the b-sides of those tracks might be. I dunno, i expect djs to actually like music, not to just see tracks as objects that they can bend and shape into a 1hr set.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

@anizz

to me, the idea of buying music that way is unnatural. I like Eps and Albums and sometimes good mixes. Coherant bodies of work or whatever. I know not all releases are like that, and many come with a load of rubbish remixes and stuff so i can see why someone would only want 1 track off that.

Thats all i'm talking about, not trying to specifically say anyones a sh!t dj.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Atheory wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
Atheory wrote:buying single tracks is how children consume music.

if your a dj your meant to like music, and have a knowledge of more than the various "BOMBS!!!LOLZ!!!1" that come out every week.
So buying the 2 tracks I find good on a release with 3 tracks is bad in your book and makes me a bad DJ?
I don't think it makes you personally a bad dj, thats not for me to say, but i think it would make me question a persons relationship to the music.

A person brings out a 3 track ep and you like 2 instantly and you can't give them the benefit of the doubt on the 3rd track, that you might grow to like it or find something in it? Think of your favorite albums and how they play out.
But then I am not selecting music, just collecting music, in my opinion.
I want to select good music, not just any music..
jaco
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jaco »

anizz wrote:
jaco wrote:i switched to pans lately, i think is the future, you should all chek it out!
does it have a good sound? :-flower
you can warm it up for a warmer sound, and yes it's banging!
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i've got to agree that I hope that the 'analogue' way of using music is not forgoten. this has nothing to do with vinyl versus mp3s, but that the idea that music has a format to be used, something that both the musician and the listener finds value in.

I don't have too much of a problem with someone who likes to pick and choose their favourite peices from a release. For label owners I'm sure they'd rather that someone paid a little for 1 or 2 tracks that they liked than just download the whole thing from rapidshare. And everyone has their own way of finding the music that they like, so. I don't have any reason to say one method is better than another.

But yeah, I hope that in however many years time there are still great LPs (digital or brain wave.. whatever medium works at that time), and that people want to listen to the piece from start to finish, and the artist chooses howto use the format to take people on a jouney. And of course, that all those great little tracks which aren't the standout on first listen still get the attentioned that they deserve... all those B sides that stand the test of time, that wierd overlooked EP between the 2nd and 3rd album.
Last edited by oblioblioblio on Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Del
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Del »

"Oh, this track wouldn't work on the dancefloor, i won't buy it" etc. Its just weird to think that tracks have to fit into this criteria to be worth buying or not buying, or essentially, worth listening to or not worth listening to.

Its like djing off a Hits of Chicago House record, instead of trying to check to see what the b-sides of those tracks might be. I dunno, i expect djs to actually like music, not to just see tracks as objects that they can bend and shape into a 1hr set.
I totally agree with Atheory and have thought about it in the past. I think a lot of it ties in with listening practices and generally how much time people are willing to dedicate to listening to music.

You hear people complaining that they don't have the time when really it's just that they have other priorities, which is fine especially if you have kids or something but like it or not this does affect peoples tastes.

Some people are just not willing to dedicate the time to listen to full tracks or albums not just once but multiple times. In that case why would you want to buy or be able to appreciate vinyl? Digital tracks or picking your fav out of the four track ep is a quick fix that saves time (and apparently money). It's perfect if you want some tracks to listen to in the car driving to and from work. There are A LOT of DJs like this and disposable music fits their needs perfectly.

This dedication of time specifically put aside for LISTENING purposes sticks out like a sore thumb whenever you hear sets or mixes from this type of particular DJ.

Of course this is only my opinion based on my personal observations so it isn't an attack on anybody in particular.