Digital Mediocrity

- open
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

LouisVee wrote:
Atheory wrote:this comes down to a personal thing. .
Thats a good conclusion to this thread -.-
True, but always a good discussion with Atheory for sure.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

patrick bateman wrote:
LouisVee wrote:
Atheory wrote:this comes down to a personal thing. .
Thats a good conclusion to this thread -.-
True, but always a good discussion with Atheory for sure.
yeah, it is better that we talk about these things, even if you're right and more logical most of the time, its still better that the issues get discussed.

i'm not going to moan about digtial stuff anymore, its easy to concentrate on the negative side of things, but the most important thing is that digital is cheaper/more accessible/free for everyone irregardless of their social situation or their country. thats a really strong and powerful thing.

if techno and house music are going to stay interesting as music its most likely going to be from developing countries having access to the tools and tracks more easily and putting a different spin on them.
WillieSmalls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by WillieSmalls »

The only mp3's i pay for are tracks not released on vinyl, which are very few.
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by infernal.techno »

this thread inspired me to do some vinyl searching, and i'm not really liking anything recent :( none of my favorite producers really have anything on vinyl
- matt
boomstick
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boomstick »

tone-def wrote: btw there is a netlabel forum on mnml.nl

it's very good
+100000000. almost all of the music i have i got from netlabels discovered from the netlabel forum. to be honest, i didn't quite understand the extreme possible variations in minimal techno until i went into that forum. i thought it all had to be click...click...click...tssss (not an exaggeration) :lol:
beam me up
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by infernal.techno »

boomstick wrote:
tone-def wrote: btw there is a netlabel forum on mnml.nl

it's very good
+100000000. almost all of the music i have i got from netlabels discovered from the netlabel forum. to be honest, i didn't quite understand the extreme possible variations in minimal techno until i went into that forum. i thought it all had to be click...click...click...tssss (not an exaggeration) :lol:
here's one you won't find on there ;)

http://www.archive.org/details/FromToMainz
- matt
sherman
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sherman »

Martian Telecom wrote:digital is corny, just buy the record.

The other thing about vinyl is that if you have good taste, your collection goes up in value. Try reselling your mp3 collection in a few years, let me know how it goes.
+1

I'm lucky, I have a decent record store walking distance from work. Doesn't leave much time for eating on a lunchbreak though :P

Most of the records are second hand, but in decent condition. I can browse at my leisure, and when I find some I like, I usually get a good price. 5 records for $20 AUD (10 pounds I guess), hardly an overly expensive outing. The guy usually lets me trade any 2 for 1, so if I change my mind after a few plays, I barely lose a dollar.

Looking at 2nd hand records is such a different feeling to browsing juno/beatport. Most probably aren't pressed anymore, and plenty of the good ones have rather small batches. I don't feel like I've listened to 20 variations of the flavour-of-the-month, and noone is copying my sets! lol

First thing I do when I get tunes home is record to wav and burn to disc. My playing out CD collection pretty much mirrors my records. It also gives me a chance to listen to each tune in full, on the system I know, and I don't end up with a stack needing to be ripped :P

The last thing I love about my particular record store, things are organised into broad genres. Techno, House, Trance, Breaks (includes DnB). Nothing shits me more than people browsing by some stupid sub-sub-sub-genre. Yeah, you can seamlessly mix your tunes, but it isn't hard when they're all so similar. You can only get so much variation in there before it is no longer funky-minimal-tech-house.

Couple of records I picked today:

This gem. - took some searching to figure out what the tracks are (no cover), turns out one of the tracks (which I didnt listen to in the store :P ) was played by hawtin on his Mixmag Live cd from 1995. I can't have that bad taste then, I guess...

Martians - Ramifying Parallels EP - never heard of it, but sounded cool

Two whitelabels I still need to ID.

And...

West Side Story - OST (if you haven't heard the awesome 'fight scene' music, you're missing out!)

Won't find that on beatport :P

wow, oops. I'll end my rant here...
-- sherman
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

infernal.techno wrote:this thread inspired me to do some vinyl searching, and i'm not really liking anything recent :( none of my favorite producers really have anything on vinyl
that's also my issue. I'm pretty picky lately (mostly due to maxing out a few credit cards :lol: ) so I am really careful about what I buy. And thing is, in digital I still end up buying a bunch of tracks while I just can't find enough vinyls on decks to get to the amount for free shipping. Unless I buy stuff that I only find so-so, and that's not the idea issit.