Recession hitting clubs

- open
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

through all the rants and complains about things were or should be (personally i think almost nothing has changed, it's just going on a smaller scale now)... but one thing that i noticed is that people just don't dance anymore

they just stand there, moving their bodies like they're standing in line waiting to take a whizz... people complain that dj's aren't moving enough... i think it's the other way around
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

dsat wrote:through all the rants and complains about things were or should be (personally i think almost nothing has changed, it's just going on a smaller scale now)... but one thing that i noticed is that people just don't dance anymore

they just stand there, moving their bodies like they're standing in line waiting to take a whizz... people complain that dj's aren't moving enough... i think it's the other way around
Yeah, i've noticed that a couple of times.

I think its because the music isn't sexy/funky enough. like some djs/ producers think of it like its a bad thing or too crude/poppy or whatever but when its done right..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZUjn5-zk1M
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

a lot of DJ's don't have the funk and some big names have lost the funk.
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

infernal.techno wrote:can i ask you a question...purely based out of curiosity

how long have you lived in tampa/st.petersburg area?

how regularly do you leave that area for music?

united states music, trends and popularity throughout the decades cannot be summed up with just southern florida. very different scenes, sounds and crowd sizes throughout the country.

if you really don't think hardcore dance music was somewhat popular in the US in the 90s, then I don't know what to tell you.
I'm 35. My wife and I just had our first child 7 months ago. I lived in München from 89-90, tampa area 90-94, joined military and was stationed in san fran area 94-98, got out of military and moved to dallas 98-2002, and back to tampa area 2002-present. ive traveled back and forth to europe for my work 5 times since 2002.

i dont come here often enough to remember screen names but i remember yours because i pissed you off before so hopefully your bias against me will be put aside for this thread and you'll stop nitpicking my viewpoint because this is a nice discussion and it would be a shame to see it derailed.

"somewhat popular" like you said is exactly it, kind of hard to quanitfy, its a bit subjective. not sure how to exactly explain, maybe look at what was talked about more in Mixmag or DJ Mag from 1990-1995 compared to 2007-present? that's what i think of when talking about what has got the most focus. if you were to compare the music in that way can you not agree the music has become (without splitting hairs here) less musical, darker, and more focused on a kick drum or percussion than content?

people talk about underground all the time. in my opinion, people have a certain idea what underground should be and things have fallen into that mold. i personally feel underground should be more about cacophony (edit: not in context of sound, but in context of discordance with mainstream society) instead of just catharsis elements as it has seems to have become over the last few years. and that has something to do with why people are not dancing as much like atheory said.
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by infernal.techno »

stevësto wrote: i dont come here often enough to remember screen names but i remember yours because i pissed you off before so hopefully your bias against me will be put aside for this thread and you'll stop nitpicking my viewpoint because this is a nice discussion and it would be a shame to see it derailed.
i think you took offense that i pointed out you were from st.petersburg florida when you were trashing on somebody's music from 6 years ago. i think you missed the point of my statement, so no use rehashing that.

that aside, your opinion of hardcore dance music not being popular in the US is your opinion. i've had friends who played that when they got into dance music and ended up traveling to other states to play in front of 1000s. this was around 98-99 when they were traveling the most to play breakcore. i still see fliers for shows with tons of hardcore djs that bring in lots of people.

you're right, it is a bit of a subjective topic. opinions of popularity are just that. so, if a couple thousand people at some mega rave of only hardcore djs in cleveland, ohio in 1998 doesn't at least hint at some sort of popularity for that type of music at that time, what is your definition of "popular"?
- matt
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i always thought psytrance was nonexistent in the UK until i went to a psytrance rave. that was bigger than any techno party i have ever been to. it was in northwest London, which is completely the wrong side of the city.

the things in DJ mag are not always what they seem.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

infernal.techno wrote:
stevësto wrote: i dont come here often enough to remember screen names but i remember yours because i pissed you off before so hopefully your bias against me will be put aside for this thread and you'll stop nitpicking my viewpoint because this is a nice discussion and it would be a shame to see it derailed.
i think you took offense that i pointed out you were from st.petersburg florida when you were trashing on somebody's music from 6 years ago. i think you missed the point of my statement, so no use rehashing that.

that aside, your opinion of hardcore dance music not being popular in the US is your opinion. i've had friends who played that when they got into dance music and ended up traveling to other states to play in front of 1000s. this was around 98-99 when they were traveling the most to play breakcore. i still see fliers for shows with tons of hardcore djs that bring in lots of people.

you're right, it is a bit of a subjective topic. opinions of popularity are just that. so, if a couple thousand people at some mega rave of only hardcore djs in cleveland, ohio in 1998 doesn't at least hint at some sort of popularity for that type of music at that time, what is your definition of "popular"?
Even though I've never been there, I also always thought that this happy hardcore scene was pretty big in the mid-west in the 90ties?
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

patrick bateman wrote:
infernal.techno wrote:

Even though I've never been there, I also always thought that this happy hardcore scene was pretty big in the mid-west in the 90ties?
it was fairly large. Toronto had a big "happy hardcore" scene.