villalobos about ableton

- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

tone-def wrote:did trying logic not have any effect positive or negative on your music?
positive but it was more about learning how Ableton works and what methods to use to get best quality.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

hydrogen wrote:
tone-def wrote:did trying logic not have any effect positive or negative on your music?
positive but it was more about learning how Ableton works and what methods to use to get best quality.
thats interesting, so you learnt something from Logic to help you in Ableton.

so i guess it all comes down to the users experience. a lot of ableton users are missing something because they only know one thing (ableton). the more software you use the better understanding of production you get.

i think everyone can be happy with the conclusion knowledge is everything.
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

Logic definitely sounds better to my ears than Ableton

ProTools HD is great as well, I checked it out at a friends studio recently

I definitely recommend recording in 24 bit if you have the Ram and HD space and cpu power

to say DAW's DONT sound different is ridiculous
Reason 2 sounds like mud and there is no way I'd ever touch one of their products again

I'd love to get an analog summing mixer

until then I'll be mixing 8 tracks out of logic and recording stereo to 1/4 tape or DAT

so conceivably my set up will go

hardware > mixer > soundcard > mac > soundcard > mixer > DAT

if your soundcard does have multiple outs, give that signal routing a try and A/B your Digital vs Analog stereo mixdowns
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

Android wrote: to say DAW's DONT sound different is ridiculous
Reason 2 sounds like mud and there is no way I'd ever touch one of their products again
How can you say that Reason 2 sounds like mud when it has no audio channel capability, no support for 3rd party plugins, and therefore no way of performing a fair A/B comparison with another DAW?

Call me pedantic, but it really fucks me off when people say "xyz DAW sounds like sh!t" when what they really mean is "the built-in compressor/EQ/reverb/synth/whatever in xyz DAW sounds like sh!t". There's a world of difference. If you don't like Ableton's whatever-effect then use a plug-in. If you think using Ableton results in music that sounds repetitive/muddy/unoriginal/whatever, fine. But that's NOT the same as "Ableton's sound engine is a big bag of balls".

Repeat after me:

"Everything I've made in Ableton sounds like sh!t" does not equate to "Ableton sounds like sh!t"
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
Cheaper
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Cheaper »

erhm...Reason sounds like sh!t indeed, it's mathematics.
soundcloud.com/capsularecordings
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

Cheaper wrote:erhm...Reason sounds like sh!t indeed, it's mathematics.
Mathematics? What kind of weed are you smoking?
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MagpieIndustries »

wow, just read through this thread. Lots and lots of people speculating about technical things they don't know anything about.
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

in my experience I could say that Reason allows the user every opportunity in the world to sound like sh!t, but its up to the user.
signatures suck