hardware only production questions (not live sets)

- ask away
NewSc2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NewSc2 »

gosh wrote:
NewSc2 wrote:Be mindful of your budget. I went the hardware-only route, and several grand later still felt like I needed more effects and cables. Probably spent too much on sound modules, and didn't leave enough room aside for the little things. In the end I went back to software... latency ended up not as big of an annoyance as scrolling through letters with a knob, just to name a sound. And I got frustrated with virtually every sequencer's "song mode."

But FWIW, I went MPC + several drum machines and 3-4 synths, plugged into a Korg Zero 8, with a send to a multi-efx unit. Virtually everything was sequenced live via the MPC. It's a little different than step sequencing, but really natural.
oops - that sounds like me.
MPC2500, Blofeld, Tetra, Future Retro Revolution, Machinedrum all plugged into a Korg Zero 8!

Still, I have fun on it but do get caught in the merry-go-round of staying in the all-hardware world and not getting finished productions done. I keep being really tempted to sell a load (keep MD and Tetra) get Maschine and work out how to fix my latency issues that held me back in the first place...but then I know that I'll miss the immediacy of the hardware. Would be interested to see how you coped?!

i think truth be told the grass is always greener. you can finish a job on any set-up it just whether you have the conviction to do it! I'm trying to learn to practice what i preach! 8)
Funny thing actually, I had a guitarist friend over this weekend. First tried to jam off Ableton Live, then just said fuckit -- it was too weird clicking around with a mouse and interact.

Spent a drunk half hour hooking up everything back up to the MPC, couldn't get things to work, so just synced up my Machinedrum, Monomachine, & TR909, friend played on guitar hooked up to Logic's effects, and me w/ keys on a Motif. First time I'd actually made music on 100% hardware in about a year.

As far as software.. it was a very valuable experience. I don't consider myself very "good" at electronic music right now, still struggling with a few mindblocks, but it was difficult for me to learn certain things on hardware.

Things like synthesis was difficult to suss out on a Virus or a Waldorf Pulse, but when I got Sylenth (software synth), it all made sense. One knob for one setting, everything clearly laid out. No creativity-killing menu diving, you can save your whole song with a couple clicks, bring up all patches and samples the next morning in 10 seconds, etc.

Software is a lot more efficient in many things—especially in effects and arrangement. How else are you going to figure out how compressing a kick drum, then sidechaining your bass, then compressing your drum bus, then applying parallel compression, and limiting the whole mix would sound like? I don't have the money to buy all those hardware boxes, or the patience to bounce everything down and process each track individually. Before I was able to experiment with that on software I would always blame my poor sound on stuff like that, but now I know where that can help and where it can hurt.

It's like that one quote, I think it was by Donald Rumsfeld -- "there are things we know we know, things we know we don't know, and things we don't know we don't know." When I was putting together my hardware rig, there were a lot of things I didn't know I didn't know, and lots of things I knew I didn't know, of which I had no idea how to achieve.

Now, when I go back to hardware, I have a much clearer picture of what I want in mind, and I'm not worrying about a synth or sampler's limitations or unnecessary extra features, cuz I've learned how to work it around in my head.

For the time being I am going to stick with software—there's still a lot I'm learning from it, and I enjoy its workflow. I'm not sure if I would recommend a Maschine, personally I work best with just a MIDI keyboard and Logic or Ableton. I tried integrating my MPC and Machinedrum into my setup, but it kind of goes against my whole software stripped-down workflow.

Edit: And yeah, it does sound like we have the same setup :lol:. Tetra = Pulse, Future Retro Revolution = x0xb0x, Blofeld = Virus. Machinedrum, MPC2500. I managed to keep most of my gear, for some reason I seem genetically wired to hoard things, but am thinking of eBaying some off in my next move. Like I said, they rarely get used.
gosh
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gosh »

Thanks for detailed reply.
I just want to integrate the two I guesss...serioulsy considering the innerclock systems sync-lock. No more unstable midi-clock from DAW and perfect integration of MD, MPC etc ;-)

cheers
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

MagpieIndustries wrote:To get the most out of the ESX, you'll probably end up doing a lot of sample editing and preparing on a computer anyway, and then transferring the files across on a flash memory card. The ESX is really not so good at cutting the start and end points of samples, and adding loops, etc. You can do it, but it's much, much easier with a computer.
This is true, on the flipside if you have a need to change the start or end points during a track, ESX does offer some great tricks in that regard; doing in on the fly.