mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

what about old soul records? same deal?
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

no, its just the detroit sound, I just cant.
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

steevio wrote:
damagedgoods wrote:These days I generally find that if I meet anyone who tells me they like "house and techno", it's safe to assume that we won't actually like any of the same music...

TJ
thats interesting mate, why do you say that ? do you not like house and techno ?

i organise a house and techno festival, (although its called an electronic music festival, the majority of the music falls in the blurred area between house and techno) and i find its not too difficult to keep the floor going the whole weekend with a variety of house/techno.
its not like the floor clears at the end of every set to be filled with a new bunch of revellers who have a slightly different taste.
I guess I was just trying to make the point that house and techno are both so broad that it's possible for two people to both be into "house and techno" and yet be talking about completely different sounds. More specifically, most of the people I meet who say they're into "house and techno" are actually really only into this watered-down, Berlin-centric techhouse/deep house/minimal sound, which is one side of techno that I'm just pretty bored of. (That, and the fact that saying "I like house and techno" in Berlin means little more than "I like going to parties".)
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

damagedgoods wrote:
steevio wrote:
damagedgoods wrote:These days I generally find that if I meet anyone who tells me they like "house and techno", it's safe to assume that we won't actually like any of the same music...

TJ
thats interesting mate, why do you say that ? do you not like house and techno ?

i organise a house and techno festival, (although its called an electronic music festival, the majority of the music falls in the blurred area between house and techno) and i find its not too difficult to keep the floor going the whole weekend with a variety of house/techno.
its not like the floor clears at the end of every set to be filled with a new bunch of revellers who have a slightly different taste.
I guess I was just trying to make the point that house and techno are both so broad that it's possible for two people to both be into "house and techno" and yet be talking about completely different sounds. More specifically, most of the people I meet who say they're into "house and techno" are actually really only into this watered-down, Berlin-centric techhouse/deep house/minimal sound, which is one side of techno that I'm just pretty bored of. (That, and the fact that saying "I like house and techno" in Berlin means little more than "I like going to parties".)
haha, yeah i see what you mean bro.

i suppose you could say that about the scene as a whole.
house and techno have effectively been done now, its very difficult to find new and interesting angles on it. i tear my hair out in my studio everyday trying to come at it from a new perspective.
maybe its time for a big change.
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

For me, I make the distinction on tonality.

If most elements are atonal / dissonant / enharmonic, i call that techno.

If a track is fundamentally tonal / harmonic, it's more likely to be house.

(If anyone can find a track that is built on atonal or dissonant sounds that they consider to be house, I'd be interested to hear it!)
Some music:
www.myspace.com/cloakmusic

Reviews, news and more:
www.inverted-audio.co.uk
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Dusk wrote:For me, I make the distinction on tonality.

If most elements are atonal / dissonant / enharmonic, i call that techno.

If a track is fundamentally tonal / harmonic, it's more likely to be house.

(If anyone can find a track that is built on atonal or dissonant sounds that they consider to be house, I'd be interested to hear it!)
yes you're right about house, but techno isnt necessarily atonal, dissonant etc. far from it. right from the start there's always been melodic forms of techno. ive rarely used a dissonant chord in techno.

is it not just style ? simple as that.
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

probably mate, it's probably impossible to categorise broadly.
Some music:
www.myspace.com/cloakmusic

Reviews, news and more:
www.inverted-audio.co.uk
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

Just to back in the subject, what do you think about the tech house, really oriented world music ? persnnaly I love it :)