Africa style Voice Samples

- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

The problem with samples is that they are available for everyone to use. That Marshall Jefferson Loopmasters pack has been properly cained. I have heard so many samples from pack in productions of late.

Best thing one can do is get of your arse and actively look for vocalists yourself. Myspace is a great tool for that. I have found loads of unsigned singer/songwriters on Myspace and signed them up.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

::BLM:: wrote:The problem with samples is that they are available for everyone to use. That Marshall Jefferson Loopmasters pack has been properly cained. I have heard so many samples from pack in productions of late.
there are only about 5 or 6 useable vocal samples on there so it's pretty easy. i feel embarrassed just listening to them.
sologroove
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sologroove »

hydrogen wrote:http://tinyurl.com/ydysx2s - 8)
:lol: LOL :lol:
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

take a guy speaking in youtube (okay its forbiden) but dont care, he will probably never listen to your track :)
Mick
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Mick »

ewinz wrote:take a guy speaking in youtube (okay its forbiden) but dont care, he will probably never listen to your track :)
word to that. a lot of elitist attitudes in this forum, some fair points about getting vocalists from here there and everywhere but some people havent got the time or resources to do something like that.

id suggest buying some cheap african music cds http://www.hbdirect.com/african-music-cds.php

or have a look in bargin vinyl bins in charity shops and what not and just rip the samples from vinyl/cd to process and use in your tracks. everyone samples and have done for years, im sure you can find something quite unique and different (ie: hasnt been samples obviously over the last decade)

alternatively smash african music into youtube and rip the audio:
http://www.listentoyoutube.com/

as long as you dont make it completely obvious then fck it. go for it.
and have fun!

good day to you all!
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

I think the main problem i have with sample cds and sampling, is that should you at least like the cds your sampling.

Take early hip-hop, the breaks and basslines and stuff were mostly from funk and soul records that the producers liked and knew.

Now, the idea of sampling african vocal records just so you can make music that sounds like all the other african sample techno/house out there, but that you don't listen to/even like the music that your sampling. Its nasty. The worst kind of cultural imperialism.

I wish there was more african influenced (not african sample cd influenced) house and techno out there, theres loads of that stuff coming from south african (kwaito music) but the idea of only seeing the music as a kind of building block or something that you can chop into ableton or whatever is really disrespectuful.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i find it really hard to listen to tribal house and techno. i got sick of it many years ago and thats when i started getting into more tech house and minimal sounds.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i love No Smoke - 'koro koro' but that's abou as far as I've eevr gone with tribal techno.

I totally agree with Atheory on his views on sampling.