For those interested in surround sound...

- ask away
soapz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

For those interested in surround sound...

Post by soapz »

Bit of a shameless self promo as this is from my blog but we had a recent article talking about the new surround sound setups and how people are just starting to bring it into the clubs. Thought some of you guys would be interested..

see http://bambambcn.blogspot.com

What has mainly inspired me though is the IOSONO soundsystem which they claim to be able to give listeners the illusion that sound is coming from somewhere else. Either outside of the club or right next to you on the floor. Here is a picture of it setup in Tresor, Berlin.,

and for the nerds amongst us.. :) a diagram showing how the speakers work, from playing the sounds a millisecond after the speaker next to it, it gives the listener a feeling that the sound is coming from much further away than the speakers, hence giving a bigger sound environment and also makes the whole dance floor the sweet spot. (in the diagram the club is the top half, the circle at the bottom is where the sound would appear to be coming from)

For me this is so inspiring, The possibilties in creatng music for this surround setup is unbelievable!! When this hits it really will be the start of a new scene all together!!
Last edited by soapz on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soapz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by soapz »

Oh yeh forgot to mention, the reason this is such an amazing step in technology is because apparantly if surround sound is just done in 5.1 etc in a big club. When the music gets to a certain club volume it becomes almost impossible to tell where the sound is coming from. Especially the lower frequencies..
lejockey
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lejockey »

the reason the bass sounds jsut so good in fabric room one is bcause they apply a similar 'wavefront' technique you were talking about. By delaying the signal slightly which goes to the outer transducers the sound sounds like it is coming from a singal point source and the speakers appear to work as one rather than multiple. lovely bit of physics :) can also use the same branch of physics to explain the line array principle and projecting sound this way. Theres so much we can do with sound which pople have known about for decades, but seeing as the top physicists tend to go into neuroscience rather than PA design, the sound industry is only just beginning to catch up in many aspects.
bleepbleep
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: For those interested in surround sound...

Post by bleepbleep »

[quote="soapz"]Bit of a shameless self promo as this is from my blog but we had a recent article talking about the new surround sound setups and how people are just starting to bring it into the clubs. Thought some of you guys would be interested..

see http://bambambcn.blogspot.com

What has mainly inspired me though is the IOSONO soundsystem which they claim to be able to give listeners the illusion that sound is coming from somewhere else. Either outside of the club or right next to you on the floor. Here is a picture of it setup in Tresor, Berlin.,

Wow very cool! I haven't read through your blog yet but are there any phase issues?
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

if every club can have the same knowledge as you guys...
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

Sound's pretty cool.

Is this only for music mixed especially for the system or will you be ablet to move all music around?
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

we should arrange a mnml.nl school bus trip to Tresor and hear what this all is about. With some skilled explanation. I'd love to hear this irl.

Now all we need is to decide who will carry the little fluo flag that we need to follow during the tour 8)
NewSc2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NewSc2 »

Hm, how would the "wall of sound perceived as distant speaker" work across a larger area... isn't one of the problems with surround sound the listener's position? If i were standing 20 feet closer to one side, compared to someone in the middle... wouldn't there be a ton of phasing issues?