What gives the housey feeling?

- ask away
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

tone-def wrote:
ewinz wrote:Just to back in the subject, what do you think about the tech house, really oriented world music ? persnnaly I love it :)
i can't stand house or techno with sh!t sounding ethnic horns and lots of samples of chanting and percussion loops from African Sounds Vol. 6. is that what your talking about? i like stuff like villalobos, with good sound design and programing. unless that person is from that culture or understands that music it's not going to work. most people who make dub techno have no knowlage of dub and you can hear it in their music. you could do so much with dub and techno but everyone just goes for that basic channel sound.
yes!!!!

that seems to be the plan for many "producers" who finally realised minimal had run into a dead end years ago.

either
a) wash their rigid, funkless beats in loads of bassy chorused/delayed8ths synth patterns and pass it off as dub techno, cause they heard about basic channel last year but haven't gotten around to getting that king tubby or scientest best of yet

b)throw a few africian loops over their rigid, funkless beats because Resident Advisor claimed Deepness (Tm) as the sound of 2008. Once again, no fela kuti, mulatu astatke, mombasa best of cds necessary, when you could just get some sample cds and hang on to your 4/4 template

c)making "dubstep", ie middley, lfo superbass on top on rigid, funkless beats. You'd wonder if people even hear the same music as you when thats their take on dubstep.

possible alternative sounds for former minimal producers this year.

a)drexciya/kind of electro revival.
b)future garage, who cares about the past, shut up and dance!
c)uk funky (maybe too close to actual funky house), but Hard House Banton should get a lawyer
d)j dilla-ish techno or maybe stuff like all of Karizmas ideas
e)ripping off 1990s warp records music

Its going to be a great year.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

L_gic wrote:
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:House is a feeling.
That no one can understand really. Unless youre deep into the house.

something along those lines if i remember correctly 8)
This term was coined when House and techno were a lot further apart. I find the thread interesting but I can't pinpoint the line where both are separated because it's too blended. It's certainly not black and white. It's not really important is it to be fair, what I identify as House and techno might be a mile away from what someone else identifies in both types of music. As long as it grooves like a mofo, chances are, I'm gonna like it. :lol:
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Atheory wrote: yes!!!!

that seems to be the plan for many "producers" who finally realised minimal had run into a dead end years ago.

either
a) wash their rigid, funkless beats in loads of bassy chorused/delayed8ths synth patterns and pass it off as dub techno, cause they heard about basic channel last year but haven't gotten around to getting that king tubby or scientest best of yet

b)throw a few africian loops over their rigid, funkless beats because Resident Advisor claimed Deepness (Tm) as the sound of 2008. Once again, no fela kuti, mulatu astatke, mombasa best of cds necessary, when you could just get some sample cds and hang on to your 4/4 template

c)making "dubstep", ie middley, lfo superbass on top on rigid, funkless beats. You'd wonder if people even hear the same music as you when thats their take on dubstep.

dub is more that tape delay and some chord stabs. it's 80% bass line, i'm pleased some of the dubstep guys got it right but most of this dub techno seems like a joke. the african samples just went over my head, didn't realize people where doing it until i read a couple of threads here.
Atheory wrote:possible alternative sounds for former minimal producers this year.

a)drexciya/kind of electro revival.
b)future garage, who cares about the past, shut up and dance!
c)uk funky (maybe too close to actual funky house), but Hard House Banton should get a lawyer
d)j dilla-ish techno or maybe stuff like all of Karizmas ideas
e)ripping off 1990s warp records music

Its going to be a great year.
i think i'll stick to deep, raw and jazzy stuff for the foreseeable future.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

tone-def wrote:
i think i'll stick to deep, raw and jazzy stuff for the foreseeable future.
yeah, i hope so.

agree, that lots of dubstep guys nailed the basic channel thing a few years ago, its the other stuff i find depressing.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Horses for courses. Some of this stuff is just so tired.
Sphere42
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Sphere42 »

That's very true statement IMO, loads of stuff coming out is just pointing fingers to others music but in so wrong way. Instead of taking references or inspiration, they're ripping off whole sounds and ideas. Classic examples are "How do I make dubstep wobble bass/dnb reece bass/trance saw lead/dubtechno chords/etc" threads on music forums. I understand it's cool to have some kind of starting point and learn basics, but once they learn the basics, loads of producers are stuck and it seems like they don't want to push it more further. No experimenting, no trying, just straight to the "product", using their own formula for "big tune"
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Sphere42 wrote:That's very true statement IMO, loads of stuff coming out is just pointing fingers to others music but in so wrong way. Instead of taking references or inspiration, they're ripping off whole sounds and ideas. Classic examples are "How do I make dubstep wobble bass/dnb reece bass/trance saw lead/dubtechno chords/etc" threads on music forums. I understand it's cool to have some kind of starting point and learn basics, but once they learn the basics, loads of producers are stuck and it seems like they don't want to push it more further. No experimenting, no trying, just straight to the "product", using their own formula for "big tune"
paradoxically its the very fact that all this information is now out there because of the web, that this happens. back when basic channel or whoever were making their mark, they had no frame of reference, they had to experiment, this is why the early techno and house (and trance) was so varied and fresh.
the best advice i can give (for what its worth) anyone getting into production is dont ask these questions, dont try to copy ANYTHING, just grab the tools and see what you can come up with, if youre serious about music.
i just dont see the advantage of this reverse engineering approach.
why not spend the time learning what the software /hardware can do for you.
put yourself in the shoes of the early pioneers, not sample their back catalogue, and look on all this amazing technology available to you as a blank canvass for the sound of the future.
my 2 cents.

this has gone way off topic :)
Martian Telecom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Martian Telecom »

silence.
Last edited by Martian Telecom on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.