Old school synth emulators

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

hydrogen wrote: Do you think that that other 65-35% of the vibe is mainly because of the hands on interface? or are you talking about from a pure sound standpoint?

my favorite things about these emulations like the uno-60... is the inherent limitations imposed. There isn't 800 modulation routing available... the synth is streamlined and yet there is still plenty of sound possibilities.
I think the restricted and hands on interface is significant. (but I suppose you can have a fairly similar thing in software also).

Yeah like I say the software can do really good stuff, but I think it's really worth spending some time with the original boxes to see if you can find anything there.

I think the difference in sound is significant.

Plus the idea of emulating something is just kind of a wierd one. A lot of the best instruments comes from people being stranded with technology and not quite knowing how to apply it. Emulations, well, in lots of cases they're just a bit dull.

I dunno, that's just my opinion and it could be influenced only by make believe and bad hearing. Best thing is to tryand find out for yourself.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

oblioblioblio wrote:I dunno, that's just my opinion and it could be influenced only by make believe and bad hearing. Best thing is to tryand find out for yourself.
i really want to and i've been avoiding it for too long. problem is i'm starting to get good with computer only synth. :)
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

for the price of 2 or 3 soft synths you could buy a DSI mopho.

go on vintagesynth.com and have a look around. you will find loads of really cheap stuff on there.