a place on beatport

- ask away
tallshit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by tallshit »

I have a friend who has a label on Beatport, and he said you need to make a 500 dollar minimum every month in sales.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

tallshit wrote:I have a friend who has a label on Beatport, and he said you need to make a 500 dollar minimum every month in sales.
ImageImageImage
justified
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by justified »

thomasjaldemark wrote:Or go through an aggregator like http://www.abluentmedia.com/
Is it easier to get to beatport with Abluent than directly? It seems that they require the same thing as beatport admins: support by bigger djs, press coverage, etc.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

tallshit wrote:I have a friend who has a label on Beatport, and he said you need to make a 500 dollar minimum every month in sales.
Not sure this is 100% true , or least , it's not the full picture.

We don't make that, and we've not been dropped.

it may be a distro thing tho, as far as I know labels don't deal with beatport direct, we do it via a company called EPM, so perhaps if EPM's sales for all of the labels it distro's fall below this, then yes, I could see this being the case, but not at an individual label level.

and given the labels EPM deals with - I'd say it would be right to drop em if they failed to hit that target LOL
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

I'm quite sure that they not only look at the sales numbers..
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

@ Patrick - very true man.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

it's 500 every quarter, and they don't really are that strict about it. But yes, in theory they can booth your label off when you don't make the 500 USD marker. And that is also the case when you work with a distributor btw :)
Personally I think it's a bit of a lame rule, which forces a lot of labels to release as much as possible, so you get labels taht release stuff every week. Of course they make the 500 USD, simply because they have released a lot of tracks that each made a small amount. But most of it is just crappy stuff.
It used to be $200 and they were very strict about that, if you didn't make it they deleted the label, and unfortunately a lot of very good labels (in terms of quality music) disappeared. I buy music from a lot of labels that sell 30-40 downloads per release so that's really difficult for them to make this target, but that can happen when you make music that's not in fashion :)