has anyone tried DCAM:Synth Squad from FXPansion?

- ask away
sherman
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sherman »

minormal wrote:Probably just strobe to be honest which is really very good! Cypher is great also but a steep learning curve. Ill stick with it though as I know it is capable of great things. Then theres Amber, the string machine which is great sounding but doubt i will use it that much. Surprisingly good for bass sounds though. Im working on a track to demo the synth squad, ill upload it when its done.

Fusor is a tough cookie to crack. I was appealed to it for the advanced step sequencer but cant get good results with it. Eloquence by sugar-bytes looks more flexible so may just end up using that. The thing is with fusor, its meant to layer up to 3 synths and apply effects etc like Kore but I find doing this in your DAW to be much more flexible and quicker. Maybe its because I simply need to spend more time with it.

The best thing about these synths in my opinion is the fact they all are dry i.e no effects. Any synth that can sound as good as they do dry truly are good synths in my book. Think Nord for example. I wish all soft synths had an option to turn off the effects in there presets as it gives you a much better idea of how good the quality is.
Great feedback, I'll deffinitely check out the demo this weekend. Thanks
-- sherman
Minimal Samples
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Minimal Samples »

Im seriously considering investing in the DCAM: Synth Squad package has anyone got any further observations to add? How are the fusors effects?
http://minimalsamples.com - Submit 20 original minimal loops & samples and get the entire archive for free.

Techno & Minimal Techno News Blog
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

I second waldorf largo.
Minimal Samples
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Minimal Samples »

Raddler wrote:I second waldorf largo.
What is it about Largo that is floating your boat? Isn't it more or less a blofeld in software?
http://minimalsamples.com - Submit 20 original minimal loops & samples and get the entire archive for free.

Techno & Minimal Techno News Blog
NewSc2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NewSc2 »

Minimal Samples wrote:Im seriously considering investing in the DCAM: Synth Squad package has anyone got any further observations to add? How are the fusors effects?
I own it, but mostly just use Strobe. It's an awesome synth, and like minormal said, you gotta work at it to make it sound good. The bad thing is I've figured out a few good sounds and pretty much stick to those, but the good thing is it really does have a "analog" sound to it, more so than most softsynths.

I use Amber sometimes, but haven't really figured out how to push it beyond basic string sounds (default patch + some modulation + reverb + chorus).

Strobe, Sylenth, Omnisphere, and Massive covers most of my sounds. May check out Waldorf, but not really feeling the need to expand my tools yet.
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

"What is it about Largo that is floating your boat? Isn't it more or less a blofeld in software?"

I just demo'd it and I found it had a big spacious sound to it. The white noise is wicked sounding and i was able to come up with some real cool effects. I just liked it. The GUI is well laid out, it has a good arp, and was fun manipulating sounds.
deadlyfreq
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by deadlyfreq »

there was some hype about synth squad last year. while they've gotten a lot of praise most people seem to agree that they didn't live up to the hype, although they still are great synths.

while they're not exactly the most versatile softsynths available i think the thing they have going for them is that they sound really amazing. they're great value as well but like already mentioned they do hit your CPU pretty hard. i bounce down to audio most of the time.

i've also been demoing the largo atm. sounds really amazing. i think that will be my next softsynth purchase.