Visiting chernobyl in 2010

- open
bleepbleep
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bleepbleep »

I find the chernobyl incident such a fascinating part of history. There was a really good documentary on the discovery channel a few years ago about the meltdown and the clean up operation. Its amazing hearing the first hand accounts of what it felt like to be in the disaster zone and being exposed to huge amounts of radiation. The firefighters who went right up to the reactor said they could almost taste the radiation and could see a bluish beam of light shining out from the reactor (caused by the ionisation of air and dust particles at high temperatures).
Anonym
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Anonym »

Themis wrote:it really looks like after the apocalypse
Like the look come visit Detroit!!!

http://www.forgottendetroit.com/
Where where where am I? Who who am I?
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

Anonym wrote:

Detroit doesn't have radiation light :)

Nice thread. Especially since there are quite some people in belgium who want to build additional nuclear reactors over here.
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

PsyTox wrote:
Anonym wrote:

Detroit doesn't have radiation light :)

Nice thread. Especially since there are quite some people in belgium who want to build additional nuclear reactors over here.
actually this phenomenon is perhaps not really global but definitely widespread these days.. obama for example intensely promotes nuclear energy not only in the u.s. but also in europe.. last weeks he was in the czech republic and he promoted a constructional upgrade of a czech nuclear plant (eastern construction type of course) which is 100km away from my home... on this nuclear plant, 15 errors occured between 2000 and 2005.. as you can imagine there is a lack of communciation between the czech operators and the austrian society when it comes to fast alerting and fast information about errors, failures or hazards of all kind.. :? :?
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

Well, I have nothing against the nuclear energy solution (as I don't think we will have enough space in our country to generate enough power through wind or solar energy). Especially when cars etc will one day be electric powered, you can imagine the amount of power this will need.

But of course the waste afterwards is something that we will have to deal with somehow. And indeed, safety... most reactors in belgium are also thirty years old, I can only hope they will do some necesairy upgrades too, and not just in terms of power yield but also in safety. Safety costs money of course... Anyway, we can't decide much about it :)