EQ Question.......

- ask away
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

EQ Question.......

Post by Raddler »

I was watching this tutorial in a future music magazine and the guy was eq'ing his bassline in logic. In his chanel strip, he first used the logic EQ, then he used another low cut eq, followed by a third low cut of some other type. Why isn't one good enough?? Is this to say that the logic EQ bleeds some low end even though you are cutting it out? I don't get it.
Daemonix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: EQ Question.......

Post by Daemonix »

Raddler wrote:I was watching this tutorial in a future music magazine and the guy was eq'ing his bassline in logic. In his chanel strip, he first used the logic EQ, then he used another low cut eq, followed by a third low cut of some other type. Why isn't one good enough?? Is this to say that the logic EQ bleeds some low end even though you are cutting it out? I don't get it.
maybe more db per octave? like adding poles to the eq?

tasos
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

likely it just sounded better... lol... maybe the first eq wasn't an infinite reduction of bass. man... I keep coming to the conclusion that there is no "science" to this. maybe each one added a different color and it just sounded good that way. or maybe he was just high and forgot that there were multiple eq's that did the same thing. does it sound good? maybe... ok perhaps it does... well than sure do it. try it see if it works. :) :)
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: EQ Question.......

Post by livecollective »

Daemonix wrote:
Raddler wrote:I was watching this tutorial in a future music magazine and the guy was eq'ing his bassline in logic. In his chanel strip, he first used the logic EQ, then he used another low cut eq, followed by a third low cut of some other type. Why isn't one good enough?? Is this to say that the logic EQ bleeds some low end even though you are cutting it out? I don't get it.
maybe more db per octave? like adding poles to the eq?

tasos
you are most likely right, if the producer has some basic knowledge of EQs, I am sure he was trying to cut out more sound while probably adding some characteristic sound of whatever EQs he was using on top of the logic one.

What I mean but cutting more sound is exactly like Tasos said about more DB per octave. Even though you low pass or hi-pass something doesn't mean that part of the signal is absent. Would require a lot of EQs to do something like that, and normally would strip the sound of a lot of its 2nd and third harmonic content.
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

Interesting stuff.He does say at one point in the video that he tends to use alot of effects from different companies to bring about different sonic qualities.
Carmen58
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Carmen58 »

hum... no idea
Last edited by Carmen58 on Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

Future music .Thomas Gold is the producer. If I recall he puts a waves Q4 with all 4 low cuts selected and then I think he puts a couple of logic low cuts as well.All this for a clap!! I don't have the video on hand to check for sure, but i'm pretty sure that's what he did . I remember asking myself why he needed to do that, but as you guys had mentionned, there are valid reasons I guess.