Minimal Underground Techno

- ask away
Minimal Samples
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Minimal Samples »

I do use samples but I tend to warp them to hell so they are pretty unrecognisable.

Also I have one of these for using "Found Sounds"

The looks I get in town recording the sound of air conditioning units etc :D
http://minimalsamples.com - Submit 20 original minimal loops & samples and get the entire archive for free.

Techno & Minimal Techno News Blog
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

Brankis wrote:samples/loops dont make music. no one is going to listen to a one bar sample loop so i really dont see the issue with using them in music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iza_XMB1aKc

take a look at this interview with joris voorn from a recent future music magazine, his music is almost 100% sample library based and he's one of the best dance producers in the world...

the samples are just frequency content/color, its up to you how to use them. i use loops/samples all the time in combination with my machinedrum and other things. it all makes for a nice sound with a good amount of contrast. i prefer not to waste time making a simple backing hi-hat loop when i can just take one and use it. why waste time making something simple like that when its available already??

the other value of using loops is that since you did not make it, it actually gives you a different type of 3rd person perspective/inspiration on your music that you wouldnt get if you did everything yourself...
That makes sense when you're a professional and time is money, I'd too probably just make stuff as cheaply as fast as possible if I were a pro, to maximize profit. Most people make music just for the fun of it, making stuff from scratch yourself (even simple stuff like hihat patterns) is the whole point of doing it. The hobby is not about ending up with professional quality music, the hobby is the creation itself.

Or at least that's the way I see it. I'd get absolutely no satisfaction from creating a song out of sample cd loops and since I get no money from it either, there's no point in doing it that way.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Brankis wrote:samples/loops dont make music. no one is going to listen to a one bar sample loop so i really dont see the issue with using them in music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iza_XMB1aKc

take a look at this interview with joris voorn from a recent future music magazine, his music is almost 100% sample library based and he's one of the best dance producers in the world...

the samples are just frequency content/color, its up to you how to use them. i use loops/samples all the time in combination with my machinedrum and other things. it all makes for a nice sound with a good amount of contrast. i prefer not to waste time making a simple backing hi-hat loop when i can just take one and use it. why waste time making something simple like that when its available already??

the other value of using loops is that since you did not make it, it actually gives you a different type of 3rd person perspective/inspiration on your music that you wouldnt get if you did everything yourself...
yeah using loops is fine if you want to make generic house loops like joris voorn is. the amount of work he did to those loops it would have been easier and more fun to just program. for me programming drums is the most enjoyable part in making a tune so working like this would just make music less enjoyable.