Is Piracy Really Killing The Music Industry? No!.........?

- open
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by infernal.techno »

::BLM:: wrote:
Barfunkel wrote:Funny how someone doesn't have the money to buy a song online (for 0,99) but can afford a computer and a broadband connection. And has the free time to surf on pirate sites. One would imagine that if you can't afford to buy music you either can't afford a computer or work 16 hours a day to feed your children and have no time to waste on online entertainment.
Yep. That argument is a load of rubbish! If you have a computer and an internet connection you can afford a £1 tune.
one tune turns to 1000 easily.

don't advocate piracy, but i can see how it could help smaller artists, like having their album on piracy sites turns into a semi-popular trend, and now more people know of the band's existence, are more prone to go see them live and eventually buy their cd and are spending more money on them than they would if their cd was just sitting in a store not getting paid much attention to.

i've spent a couple hundred $ on vinyl in the past month. i still pledge my full allegiance to monetarily supporting labels any way i can, and i'm pretty poor.
- matt
Nordin
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Nordin »

I agree with infernal that piracy can be good a thing for smaller artists in niche genres like minimal techno and house to gain exposure and ultimately get more gigs/bookings which is where they get the majority of their income anyway.

That doesn't make piracy any more OK, but I'm just saying there's not a lot of money to made on electronic music sales digitally or physically unless you're tiesto or david guetta etc.

I think piracy does effect labels though because they rely on the sales of their releases to run a business which in turn hurts artists so it's a bit of a vicious circle.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Could someone give me some hard facts about electronic music artists (within out scope of the genres) that have been giving away music for free and after that gained tons of success which lead to tons of well paid gigs?

I'm curios to get some facts, because this is always the argument being put on the table.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

patrick bateman wrote:Could someone give me some hard facts about electronic music artists (within out scope of the genres) that have been giving away music for free and after that gained tons of success which lead to tons of well paid gigs?

I'm curios to get some facts, because this is always the argument being put on the table.

god here comes the jockey of the digital realm.

ez man, how many awesome gigs and tons of success have your digital releases gotten you?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

patrick bateman wrote:Could someone give me some hard facts about electronic music artists (within out scope of the genres) that have been giving away music for free and after that gained tons of success which lead to tons of well paid gigs?

Troy Pierce
Heartthrob
JPLS
Theodor Zox
Leif
Butane
Barem
Seph
Ekkohaus
Gummihz

it's hard to say if the free music is responsible for getting them gigs. but some of them have done really well.

i know putting out my tracks for free has done me better than selling them on beatport.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

livecollective wrote:

god here comes the jockey of the digital realm.

ez man, how many awesome gigs and tons of success have your digital releases gotten you?
Why so negative and hostile?
I'm asking a simple question, if you can't answer, then why be hostile towards me? Have I done anything to you?

EDIT: I think both my vinyl releases and digital releases have giving me the success I could ask for (said in another way, I'm happy for what I've achieved), mind you that I'm still a relatively young producer.
Last edited by patrick bateman on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

tone-def wrote:

Troy Pierce
Heartthrob
JPLS
Theodor Zox
Leif
Butane
Barem
Seph
Ekkohaus
Gummihz

it's hard to say if the free music is responsible for getting them gigs. but some of them have done really well.

i know putting out my tracks for free has done me better than selling them on beatport.
I know some of these have had free netlabel releases, I just miss to see or maybe I just don't know about, those 1-2-3 free releases they made that made their career.
Maybe it's hard to pin point down. I just think that it really depends on a lot more than just giving your music away for free.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

Honestly, piracy exists because it's just too easy. After that, kids and other guys are coming up with all kind of lame excuses to justify their acts. Fact is, they did it because they could and they could have bought it too but didn't.

No need to attack them because it will just reinforce (just like trolls on forums) their views. I think the best bet is to just buy if you can and tell your friends you want/can support.

The rest, we have no control and have to let it be.