for the label owners out there

- ask away
NewSc2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NewSc2 »

diego vega wrote: BTW I have a day job and make music at night for fun and I don't give a sh!t if I never make money from this, I will keep making music and releasing it for my pleasure and to share with the world, but is this really the case of 95% of the industry? This whole industry is built from a hobby of thousands of people?
Probably, yeah. We are in a niche genre in a decreasing market. Many name producers have jobs and careers.

Plus, the music industry was always a dream for many people. Even fairly successful recording artists, producers, and engineers end up taking jobs in the "real world."
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

Rookas wrote:maybe its the music which lost quality? not the format?
Most new stuff is pretty disposable and not worth buying or stealing.
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

haha , yes, everybody tries to sell product and nobody gets the money, imho its only the music which stopping YOUR labels from selling. i dont know any label that has good music and isnt selling alright
its all about the rhythm
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by LouisVee »

patrick bateman wrote:
so it's okay that people who are not dj's download music, because they are 'just' listening to it at home?
or how should it be understood?
Only DJs can buy Perlon releases, or any vinyl only labels...
Or a "normal person" (!) gotta have a turntable...
Should they be "allowed" to download it? Are these tracks reserved to turntables owners?

For exemple, I have 600+ vinyls, some Perlon releases, and I wanted badly to buy/listen to Jabberjaw - I speak for some of that(Perlon#31 i think), but its sold-out. So I downloaded it. If I could have buy it from a digital store, I would have do it, but i couldnt.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

LouisVee wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
so it's okay that people who are not dj's download music, because they are 'just' listening to it at home?
Should they be "allowed" to download it? Are these tracks reserved to turntables owners?

For exemple, I have 600+ vinyls, some Perlon releases, and I wanted badly to buy/listen to Jabberjaw - I speak for some of that(Perlon#31 i think), but its sold-out. So I downloaded it. If I could have buy it from a digital store, I would have do it, but i couldnt.
Good point and true. And yet, it should be the label's choice to choose to have the music on vinyl only. Anyway, in Perlon's case they always sell out so they probably don't give a toss if it ends up on a download site afterwards.

The problem is more for the smaller players who don't have a status like Perlon aand don't have followers that will buy everything you release regardless of what is actually on it :lol: These guys' music also end up on blogs, and if you sell 150 copies, making a loss, and you see that the ripped track gets downloaded 4000 times on a blog, then it leaves a bitter aftertaste. And I think those labels should indeed make sure the music is available everywhere, also digitally, just to avoid situations like you described perfectly: people wanting to pay for your music but who can't find your product.

I wish I had started a label back in 1989 when I began dj'ing, I probably would've made a killing and would still be living off it. But back then, you could live off dj'ing easy enough, and from the start I had 4 gigs a week easy, and a gig was a NIGHT, not an hour. So when you made money playing, I never thought of buying a truckload of machines and make the music myself. That came later... when the music industry was going down down down :lol:
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

LouisVee wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:

There are many people who are not DJ's who still own a turntable.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i think its too easy to forget that musicians throughout history have not really made much money.
before the days of the record industry, musicians were the guys round the campfire, or in the village pub who entertained everyone mostly for free, they got their reward from the buzz and the appreciation of the rest.
they were just ordinary guys, infact it was more normal to be able to play an instrument than not.

the record industry came along and they still didnt make any money, because they got ripped off. only a tiny handful of musicians have had enough control over their destiny to actually avoid being ripped off.

and so now we are being ripped off by the pirates, it doesnt supprise me one bit.

its also too easy to make electronic music, set up a web based label and get your stuff out there, so its easy to delude yourself that you should be making money.

i was lucky enough to be running independant labels in the 1980's and 1990's and selling relatively large numbers of records compared to today, but it still wasnt easy to make money, you had to rely on gigs just like today.

i've lost interest in releasing music at the moment, my label is on hold, while i decide what to do, but selling a few hundred downloads just seems like a waste of energy to me and so i'm going to put my energy into doing something very different in the live arena, and bring out the occasional nicely packaged vinyl release for the collectors and vinyl DJs.(most of my favourite DJs still are using vinyl)
if the music is quality and timeless, it will sell and only gain in value over time, much better than a forgotten mp3 on some old out of date full hardrive in the back of someones junk cupboard.
the last time i looked Mindtours 06 from my label was selling at up to 60 euros on discogs.

when i was in various bands in the 1980's we gained our reputation from being exciting live acts, and you sold your records on the basis of that, it seems now that its the other way round, you have to saturate the already saturated market with your hurriedly put together releases in the vein hope you'll get noticed and get some gigs off the back of it.

i'm going back to the old school method. im not saying its going to work, but i'm excited about getting off of this pointless rollercoaster and trying something different. theres absolutely no point in getting down about the situation, as soon as it became possible to digitise music, it was already too late.

stay positive guys :D
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Some good views there steevio.

I think the live approach is worth some investigation. A limited edition of 1 piece of real life interaction and immediate community. and a healthy potion against the world where everything is documented and duplicated and distributed.

The money situation with music is not ideal... I've looked at many ways to earn money to live, but I am unskilled at those tasks, and I find to create music I need some time and space. anyways.

It is a depressing situation with digital distribution... as musicians we don't need to rely on studios or other peope's labels or investments like in the 60s or 70s... we have all the tools we need to do make and distrubute music... but we still get a bad deal. Maybe that's the way it always is. Music and money definitely have a funny relationship.

I learnt something early on with music... it's a good thing and a bad thing. That for every gathering I went to and played music, even if most people weren't listening, or even were completely rude to my face about providing my own personal vision of sound... there was always at least 1 or 2 people that took something frm the experience, and were polite enough to come and say about it.

Maybe this is how it will be with music distribution in the future. Most people are happy freely sharing without being aware of the consequences (or finding funny ways to justify it). Maybe they are not listening, or even rude about the role of the musician. But I hope that there will be enough people who care about the music and do what they can to support it.

Filesharing isn't just a sea of pirates and immoral people. I used soulseek an awful lot aged 18 to 21, and I downloaded quite a lot of dance music from blogs a few years ago, but I have invested my almost my entire life into music in one way or another. All my t shirts have a band on the front... I bought a lot of dance music on vinyl and mp3. I have hundreds of cds and try to support people that I believe in as much as I can do. I would hope that there is a way to find some middle ground between these more moral filesharing people, where they are aware that good music needs a little support to survive, and they can get a piece of music/art that they can feel a special connection with.